Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
The stock skids are fine in most conditions.

When asking how necessary they are, I equate it to how necessary are bumpers? Hopefully you never need to use them, but you never know

·
Registered
862 Posts
You need the belly skid and a gas tank skid. TJs have plastic gas tanks. My belly and tank skids are all scratched and dinged. I can't imagine what damage I would have incurred without them

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
Is it a necessity to have a skid plate if you do any off-roading? Even small trails?
For trails without a lot of big rocks or stumps the stock Skid Plates should be ok. If you find yourself on more challenging trails, under body skid plates are a good idea to protect the oil pan at least. Let me know if you see anything you're interested in and I'll get you a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
526 Posts
Is it a necessity to have a skid plate if you do any off-roading? Even small trails?
It's not just offroading. A buddy of mine took off his skid plate from his truck because he was maintenance and was too lazy to put it back on. Well long story short he ran over debris on the expressway and put a hole through his oil pan. You don't have to be offroading to use it. It's a necessity for me.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
The one skidplate I wouldn't wheel without that the factory didn't provide is an oil pan skid plate. The gas tank is fairly well protected by the skidplate the factory installed there on newer (like 2001 or so) TJs and so is the transfer case. But the oil pan is vulnerable to damage from rocks etc. If you wheel on gentle trails you'd probably be ok but I'd look at an oil pan skidplate as one of the first upgrades to install.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
The one skidplate I wouldn't wheel without that the factory didn't provide is an oil pan skid plate. The gas tank is fairly well protected by the skidplate the factory installed there on newer (like 2001 or so) TJs and so is the transfer case. But the oil pan is vulnerable to damage from rocks etc. If you wheel on gentle trails you'd probably be ok but I'd look at an oil pan skidplate as one of the first upgrades to install.
Any particular preferences for an oil pan skid?

What about a cover for the steering box? Worthwhile?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Oil pan skid is most important. If it's punctured and the oil drains, not only are you stranded, you have a ruined engine. If the gas tank is punctured, you're just out of gas. Stuff something in the hole, add gas and get back home. Light off roading you'll not likely damage anything going stock.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I bought the 25 buck one (oil pan skid) from Teraflex. For the price you can't beat it, I replaced my stock T case skid with a TT from Teraflex and I also have a steering box skid and recommend one to anybody who wheels their rigs. Mine is a Teraflex and I traded a fellow for it, they all look the same and are made of the same steel so pick the cheapest for this one. If I was in the market for one I'd give the nod to the member who is selling them on the forum in the for sale section, KD Fabs I think is the name. Small US business for me is a win every time!

I am saving up for a Savvy gas tank skid and rear bumper (have not made my mind up on bumper) so I can get rid of the Smittybilt bumper that's on there now. I wanna replace both at the same time...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought the 25 buck one (oil pan skid) from Teraflex. For the price you can't beat it, I replaced my stock T case skid with a TT from Teraflex and I also have a steering box skid and recommend one to anybody who wheels their rigs. Mine is a Teraflex and I traded a fellow for it, they all look the same and are made of the same steel so pick the cheapest for this one. If I was in the market for one I'd give the nod to the member who is selling them on the forum in the for sale section, KD Fabs I think is the name. Small US business for me is a win every time!

I am saving up for a Savvy gas tank skid and rear bumper (have not made my mind up on bumper) so I can get rid of the Smittybilt bumper that's on there now. I wanna replace both at the same time...
That sounds awesome! I looked around a bit but all the ones I found were more like 125.00. Is there a link to the one you found? I'd like to get one. Thanks!

·
Registered
728 Posts
One that I was told to get when going offroad too was the steering box skid. Take that out, no steering, no driving.

Least expensive I've found was from JCR Offroad:

JcrOffroad, Inc. Steering Box Skid - TJ Wrangler

Just installed mine last night, no problems. Now I just need some more $$$ for my Undercover Fab or Rokman engine/tranny skid plate.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
I agree with Jerry... Definitely an oil pan skid plate, I think I got mine off of eBay for $45. I also would not go out on trails with there's rocks or debris without some sort of diff cover protection. If you peel back a diff cover there's no sensor to tell you you've lost all differential fluid...just a fried differential. I would also look at a Steering box skid too. This may sound like a lot of money to shell out for Mild trails, however when compared to the cost of repairing the damage without these skids it's well worth every penny!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
That sounds awesome! I looked around a bit but all the ones I found were more like 125.00. Is there a link to the one you found? I'd like to get one. Thanks!
Ordered it direct from Teraflex. Its the older version...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts