Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To keep this short and simple, whilst installing the body lift portion of my Zone Combo kit, I went to take the transfer case linkage off and this rubber piece broke off. Just wanted to know how important this piece is. Is it worth replacing? Thanks in advance.

Also any suggestions on how to get the fuel filler hose bolted back to the bezel? I'm having a hard time.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
To answer the second part, I loosened up the clamps on the fuel hose on both ends and after a long time of tugging and carefully using a flat head or something similar or thinner, try to wiggle the hose around until it loosens up. After a while you should be able to get some slack on the hose. Barely any though. It was a pain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually right after I posted this thread I got it back in as well haha. I ended up using longer screws with the same threading to pull in the top of the hose then swapping them back to the oem screws one at a time as the heads of the screw were too tall and was hitting the gas cap. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I buttoned everything back together and everything works fine. Transmission shifts like it should. Seems like the TC linkage is working fine. Goes into 4HI and 4LO as it should with no grinding.

It looks like it could just be a dust shield. Don't quite know how important that is. Anyone know? It's the rubber boot/tube on the back side of the transfer case shift bracket.

I am also happy to say that this is the only thing that broke on the install.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's hard to tell what part of the linkage your picture is. If I were you I'd consider getting the Novak cable shifter. I was reluctant to spend that much money on what seemed like an unnecessary upgrade, however when I purchased my jeep I couldn't get it into 4lo, and have had previous jeeps with shifting issues on the Tcase. Needless to say, the Novak is well worth the money, and won't leave you frustrated on the trail when your tcase won't shift cuz the linkage has bound up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking into the Novak cable, but my wallet won't be able to handle it at the moment. It will definitely be an upgrade in the near future though. As far as issues shifting into 4wd, it goes into LO and HI with no issues. I just want to make sure that the rubber piece I broke isn't crucial.

If it helps, the picture is of the driver side of the linkage bracket that bolts to the tub. There's a little hollow rubber boot on that side that looks like it covers something that goes through that hole. I'll grab another picture right now, but it's already bolted back up to the car. Hopefully you guys can get a better look at what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a couple other pictures, but these have the relocation bracket already installed so it looks a little different. The piece that broke off in the original picture is supposed to cover the rod that sticks through the hole. Also I should note that these pictures are kind of upside down if you haven't noticed already.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts