Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, I just ordered Clayton adjustable arms (all 8), front and rear track bars, and Yeti Tie Rod and Drag Link. I'm not great with a wrench, but YouTube videos make all of this stuff look easy. Everything appears to be simple bolt ons, so my plan was to install everything myself then take to a local Jeep shop for adjustment and alignment.

I was fired up to start today and thought I'd begin with the rear track bar, easy peasy right? Wrong. I cannot loosen the bolts on either side, not even a fraction. I'm using a 24" breaker bar and the Jeep is on the ground, so leverage is tough to find but these things aren't budging.

This pretty much put an end to my wrenching today, as it's time to reevaluate. I'm considering going out tomorrow and buying one of the Milwaukee high torque impact wrenches. Think that would do it? Anyone have any other advice?

Jeep is a 2013 Rubi 10A (2 door) that I just bought 3 weeks ago. Has what looks to be about a 3" spring/shock lift and 35's, but the previous owner didn't upgrade any other suspension or steering components.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Sounds like you need an impact wrench. Pretty much a must have if you plan on doing a lot of work yourself. That or try some penetrating oil and let it soak in for a while.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 2011 and my Milwaukee impact made easy work of changing both track bars, front & rear shocks and all of my control arms in the last few weeks.

By far the most useful tool in my garage right now and I can’t recommend it enough.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Once you get the track bar fasteners unfastened, it will be easier to remove the fasteners from the track bar bushings if you raise the axle a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I picked up the 1400 ft/lb Milwaukee this morning and it made quick work of the bolts. I successfully replaced the Teraflex bracket with a Clayton and installed the track bar without issue. Axle is now centered!

I’ll be tackling the front bar tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts