Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2015 JKUHR and was wondering what to expect for lifespan of the OEM battery... last thing I want is to be on a trip and have battery issues... haven't had factory batteries on other cars go much beyond 3-5 years before needing replacement... looking at the Odyssey Extreme or Northstar as a replacement, just was wondering how soon I might need to replace the OEM battery.

·
Registered
373 Posts
have a 2015 JKUHR and was wondering what to expect for lifespan of the OEM battery... last thing I want is to be on a trip and have battery issues... haven't had factory batteries on other cars go much beyond 3-5 years before needing replacement... looking at the Odyssey Extreme or Northstar as a replacement, just was wondering how soon I might need to replace the OEM battery.
I have a 2012 JKR. My battery died after about 3/12 years.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I went ahead and replaced mine at 4 yrs with the onset of winter coming, using a winch and being off the beaten path at times. Got the Extreme from QT. I looked at it as prevention more then need.
If all city driving, would of kept until about to fail, living in the mountains is a little different.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just short of 2 years

·
Registered
211 Posts
Replaced mine after 4 years and 80,000 miles just to be on the safe side.

·
Super Moderator
23,666 Posts
My 2014 lasted 2 years and 36000 miles and when it went it gave me one slow start and was dead no real warning.

·
Premium Member
7,349 Posts
After reading lots of stories about the original battery being prone to fail without warning at around 3 years I decided to replace mine one month shy of that. I wanted to replace it when it was convenient for me to do so instead of it failing while my wife was stranded on some dark and rainy night out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Both of my JK's about 2 years if that. Stock batteries are garbage. Interstate>

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Bought a new 2012 JKU in 2012, figure I'd replace in 3-4 years for preventative maintenance (before winter). Well Summer of 2016 drove to work fine, left to start and nothing, not even a interior light or dash light, left me stuck in the parking lot even after jumping, no warning at all but we had a long stretch of 90-100 deg. temperate days. Put an Interstate Mega Tron battery in, started right up. Now I got a bought new 2016 Willys, I probably will replace in 2019 or so. I figure since this is my 4th Jeep, if you get 3 years, time to replace just as a precaution. My 2012 gave no warning at all, nothing, just shorted. And again, this thing didn't turn over slow at all, no symptoms, just totally was DEAD when I tried to start after a nice ride in the morning, come out and nothing.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I replaced the battery on my 2015 JKUR last November as a precaution. I've heard of too many failing before the Jeep is even three years old. I got a Walmart EverStart Maxx. Size H-6 is an exact replacement, with the posts properly oriented. No modification needed and it has indentations for the factory clamps.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Mine lasted less than 30 days. I opted for dual battery's as my very first mod.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
So what I'm taking away from this thread is hope for 3 years and if the battery makes it that long then replace it. That would be the dead of winter here, so I'll probably do a preemptive strike in late fall, 2019.

And don't rely on fading headlights for a warning.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts