Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
2013 stock battery, with 81k, died today...

replaced with a $25 AutoZone something or other... for $25 I'll give it a try.

All good now...
WOW. I certainly wish you the very best of luck on that one. If you get a year out of it, you got your money's worth. My worry would be a short life and a final death at a most inopportune time, like 50 miles out in the desert.

Like many things, Batteries are to an extent a "You Get What You Pay For" kind of thing. One of the bigger killers of batteries is shock and vibration. So if you never leave the mall parking lot, any battery may last. The things that make the Odyssey and Optima batteries most popular is the resistance to shock and vibration that is built in. Quality always has a price.

I am an electronics/electrical professional. Batteries are a deep subject all on their own, and I do a lot with Li-Po and Li-Fe-Po4 chemistry. I have found this site to be a good place for learning about batteries. Standard Lead/Acid batteries (PbO2) can be designed in many ways from quick power for fast starts to slow drain for deep cycle. AGM and Gel are variations of the PbO2, and some Li-Fe-Po4 is making its way into the automotive world. Understanding how they are built and used can help you decide which is right for your needs. Charging is also important. I would not charge a Li-Po with a PbO2 charger.

https://batteryuniversity.com/

Once again, best of luck with that one. I'd be curious to hear how long it lasts.

Mike-5.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
My '16 JKUHR battery lasted 2.5 years. The OEM in my previous vehicle (Tacoma) lasted 7 years for reference. The OEM wipers on my JKUHR are still working after 3.5 years, and my OEM BFG KM's have just over 70K on them and are getting ready for replacement. I'm also still on my OEM brakes.
Just had to replace my 16's a month ago......

My 13's was purchased by me last year and it appears that is not factory at the time of purchase...

Done are the days of 5-8 year batteries I guess. Hopefully graphene batteries will change this as graphene will revolutionize batteries (and lots of other stuff)

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2008 got about 4.5 years before it died without warning on a cold January morning, the battery in my 2018 is still working fine but will probably replace it with something better in a couple years just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
236 Posts
WOW. I certainly wish you the very best of luck on that one. If you get a year out of it, you got your money's worth. My worry would be a short life and a final death at a most inopportune time, like 50 miles out in the desert.

~~~

Once again, best of luck with that one. I'd be curious to hear how long it lasts.

Mike-5.
I will be sure to respond if I make it thru the winter

·
Registered
142 Posts
Battery sale, or discount coupons.

Not related to my 2015 JKU-R-HR, but certainly battery related...... My daily driver, an older Toyota sports car, refused to start last week. I checked back in my E-mail to see what coupons I had from where, always ready to save a buck.

I had one Oreilly Auto Parts coupon for 15% off $75 or more. I went to check their batteries on the web, Good - Better - Best was $89, $129 and $159.

I had a 10% off coupon for Advance Auto Parts. I went to the web site looking at batteries, and the prices for Good-Better-Best were $79, $119 and $149.

Bottom line was the end result from either was going to be within a few pennies. Since I am on my long week off, I wasn't in any hurry to run out for a battery. Instead I went shopping to COSTCO with my wife. She buys 80 pounds of dog food every two weeks and that is heavy for her. Yeah - 40 pounds a week. We have three Great Danes, and you don't want them hungry!

Headed back to the dog food..... right past a pile of batteries. Interstate Batteries. I like Interstate, always had good luck with them. The "BEST" that fit my Toyota was only $75. What a deal! I put one in the cart. NOTE: COSTCO does have a $15 core charge.

For those of you who are not COSTCO members, over the next 72 hours Advance Auto Parts E-mailed me offers increasing from 10% off to 25% off good for like 24 hours each. They really wanted me to buy from them I guess. If you are not in a hurry, try it. I suppose you need to be registered with an E-mail address for that to work.

I personally would not run a cheap battery in my JEEP. I am often miles from the nearest help, and while USAA insurance will send help for vehicle problems, they will not send them very far off-road. But the Toyota and the Dog Show Van (Ford E-350 1-ton van with 300k miles) rarely get off pavement. I'll take a chance on a deal with them. Hope this helps someone save some $$$$ on a battery.

Mike-5 -- El Paso, TX.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My first battery lasted about 2 years. The replacement Duralast Gold battery lasted 1 year. I got a free replacement under warranty and it lasted 2 years. My third battery died last week at exactly 2 years as well. I will not buy Duralast batteries again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
just over 4 1/2 years in my 2015 JK...

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
2015 JKUR we bought in June of 2019 with just under 37,000 miles, battery crapped out 2 weeks ago. No warning at all. Replaced with Optima Red Top

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update to my earlier post, just replaced the battery last night. Midtronics battery tester showed 460 CCA, from factory it was rated at 600 CCA. The Jeep seemed to be laboring to crank over lately so I bit the bullet and replaced it before winter or more importantly a road trip by the end of the month up north.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts

Like many things, Batteries are to an extent a "You Get What You Pay For" kind of thing. One of the bigger killers of batteries is shock and vibration. So if you never leave the mall parking lot, any battery may last. The things that make the Odyssey and Optima batteries most popular is the resistance to shock and vibration that is built in. Quality always has a price.

I am an electronics/electrical professional. Batteries are a deep subject all on their own, and I do a lot with Li-Po and Li-Fe-Po4 chemistry. I have found this site to be a good place for learning about batteries. Standard Lead/Acid batteries (PbO2) can be designed in many ways from quick power for fast starts to slow drain for deep cycle. AGM and Gel are variations of the PbO2, and some Li-Fe-Po4 is making its way into the automotive world. Understanding how they are built and used can help you decide which is right for your needs. Charging is also important. I would not charge a Li-Po with a PbO2 charger.

https://batteryuniversity.com/

Mike-5.
Batteries are going to go along way in the next decade.... graphene layers.. lighter, hold more charge, charge faster and graphene is carbon so easily available (unlike lithium) once they have production down pat

·
Registered
1 Posts
have a 2015 JKUHR and was wondering what to expect for lifespan of the OEM battery... last thing I want is to be on a trip and have battery issues... haven't had factory batteries on other cars go much beyond 3-5 years before needing replacement... looking at the Odyssey Extreme or Northstar as a replacement, just was wondering how soon I might need to replace the OEM battery.
I have a 2017 JKU Sahara with a winch 9500 pro series- stock battery lasted 3 years but with installing my winch I decided to go with a 34-D1 700CCA Duralast and it works very well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
18 JKU lasted to 6500 miles (almost 1 year old, granted it sat on the lot for 6 months so 1.5 yrs) replaced with dual H6 AGMs.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
80,725 Posts
I have a 2017 JKU Sahara with a winch 9500 pro series- stock battery lasted 3 years but with installing my winch I decided to go with a 34-D1 700CCA Duralast and it works very well.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
40 Posts
18 JKU lasted to 6500 miles (almost 1 year old, granted it sat on the lot for 6 months so 1.5 yrs) replaced with dual H6 AGMs.
Same here. Just replaced my 18 JKU at 6000 miles. I don't think mine sat as long as yours, and I was irked that I had to replace it so soon. Would love to go with the dual battery set up. Maybe someday I can justify/afford it. Instead I bought the most expensive single battery O'Reilly's has.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I am in the minority.
The 2014 finally crapped out.
Thrilled with 6 years.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I’ll never know because I shitcanned it after 2 years.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Same here. Just replaced my 18 JKU at 6000 miles. I don't think mine sat as long as yours, and I was irked that I had to replace it so soon. Would love to go with the dual battery set up. Maybe someday I can justify/afford it. Instead I bought the most expensive single battery O'Reilly's has.
I had the stealership replace it after I had a really bad customer experience and contacted the area manager. Next time I went it, treated like VIP.

But as soon as I got home, took the replaced OEM battery out and in went the two AGMs :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Adding my 18 JKU to the list, was about 1.5 years old and died this January with no warning. I replaced with a single AGM battery rather than going through warranty.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts