Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
In Baton Rouge, there is a radio show that is hosted by a mechanic that owns a shop in town. He said he replaces the batteries in his cars every 3 years. He said he would rather change it when it is old and still working rather than wait until it stops working and leave him stranded somewhere. I never thought about it like that but it makes good sense.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
In Baton Rouge, there is a radio show that is hosted by a mechanic that owns a shop in town. He said he replaces the batteries in his cars every 3 years. He said he would rather change it when it is old and still working rather than wait until it stops working and leave him stranded somewhere. I never thought about it like that but it makes good sense.
My OEM battery lasted exactly 3 years and 3 months. Back in January, the Jeep started normally, I got to work, and then blammo, no more start when I went to fire her up after work. Luckily, I had a battery shop that carried high quality replacement batteries within a few blocks from where I was parked. The down side was that the shop wasn't open at 11:00 p.m.

I had intended to buy one of those Lithium Ion jump boxes for just such a day, but did not have the opportunity before the battery failed without notice. Sadly, most of today's computer-intensive vehicle choices have battery failures where they go from a successful start to a no-start condition with zero notice. Many stock batteries today don't make it to the 3 year mark- the two vehicles I had before the Jeep(s) had OEM batteries that lasted 20 months and 18 months respectively {I'm talking about YOU, Varta} before they would not charge properly and resting voltage was lower than required to allow a normal start.

·
Registered
120 Posts
82 months

·
Registered
2 Posts
have a 2015 JKUHR and was wondering what to expect for lifespan of the OEM battery... last thing I want is to be on a trip and have battery issues... haven't had factory batteries on other cars go much beyond 3-5 years before needing replacement... looking at the Odyssey Extreme or Northstar as a replacement, just was wondering how soon I might need to replace the OEM battery.
just replaced my original battery on a 2015 Sahara. 68,000 miles

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
80,725 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My '16 still has the battery it had when I bought it new. The vehicle information sticker shows a build date of August 2016, so it's 3.71 years old... Just over 23,000 miles on the clock.. Cranks as good as ever.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My Jeep was manufactured in 08/17. The battery suddenly died in 10/19. There was no warning before hand but I knew it was going out based on how much slower the engine was starting.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
80,725 Posts
My 2014 Wrangler 2 door. Still has original battery. About 6 years, 2 months old. Working fine.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Wow..6 years, the average is about 3 years.

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,077 Posts
Just replaced mine in my 2013. Made it 7 years. Couldn't handle a load anymore

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’m right at year 5 mark and running strong so far. 28k miles and kept in a garage so doesn’t get cold that much in the winter ( if that matters at all). I’ll probably replace it this fall to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
So far, 3 years and almost 60,000 miles. If I plan on any long trips I may replace it sooner. But since I spend most of my time around town and only in groups when off road I may go another year.

These new vehicles do have sensitive electronics that get in the middle of whether your battery will even try to start your engine. If that system could be bypassed then batteries would still start the vehicles. I had a battery in a 2012 Corvette that tested good according to the tow truck driver for AAA. Some lights would come on but the engine would not turn over. After some time with the charging cables hooked up the engine started and would run with limited lighting (no head lights at night). Followed my other half home and put a new battery in the next day.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Weird timing on this one since I literally just replaced mine last week. I have a 2015 with 58,504 miles. I don't have any extras on my rig like a winch or a light bar (just a 2.5" TF lift and 35" tires) but I took the opportunity to put a "better" battery in. I went with the Optima Yellowtop H6 (or YEL48 if you're at O'Reilly's). We've had a constant state of needing money for other things like kid's college since buying the Jeep so I haven't been able to afford a winch yet but at least now I won't have to worry about a bigger battery if I ever do get to put one on.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Our 2014 lasted exactly 3 years and died with no notice.
That's why I replaced the batter on my 2014 after "only" 5 years. It was still starting just fine, but I figured I got my money's worth out of it, and I was on borrowed time. As previously pointed out, it is better to replace it while you still able to drive to the auto store.

·
Registered
9 Posts
(Tombstone)
JKU factory battery “sparky”
Our little angel taken too soon
July 2017 - November 2020

I suspect COVID and not driving for longer than 5 minutes 3 x a week probably had something to do with it. ... plus an always on OBDII Bluetooth reader

Just picked up a DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H7, 850 CCA at autozone. Hopefully it’ll see double digits.

Old thread but just leaving my two cents

101 - 120 of 126 Posts