Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, how long does it take? I had the code "po456" occur on Sunday morning. I had the code read on Sunday and cleared the code at work Monday, after work I drove to the jeep dealer and bought a new gas cap.

So far I have not had the code come back. If I did not fix the issue with the gas cap could I hurt the jeep in anyway by driving it in the rain with the evap system leak. I crawled under the jeep and looked at all the system lines and connections that I could on Sunday, I did not see anything.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I am not sure if anyone can accurately answer that question of how long. It depends on drive time, park time and a bunch of other variables. You just have to wait and find out unless you can smoke test or vac test the system (like you were simulating the test the PCM runs).

The good news is it won't hurt to drive your jeep, even in the rain. Keep driving and wait to see if it comes on.

Only real issue is if you need to get a state inspection or emission inspection. You would want to know if the evap monitor ran. It gets cleared when you clear the codes so they wouldn't do the inspection until the readiness monitor was able to run.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh okay, well good deal then, I live in South Carolina and I do not have to worry about emissions and state inspections. Although if it does come back I might take it to the dealer. They said they can smoke test it to find the problem.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,575 Posts
Like the title says, how long does it take? I had the code "po456" occur on Sunday morning. I had the code read on Sunday and cleared the code at work Monday, after work I drove to the jeep dealer and bought a new gas cap.

So far I have not had the code come back. If I did not fix the issue with the gas cap could I hurt the jeep in anyway by driving it in the rain with the evap system leak. I crawled under the jeep and looked at all the system lines and connections that I could on Sunday, I did not see anything.
Hi qcecil_,
We're sorry to hear about this. If this returns and you decide to have your dealer take a look, feel free to send our team a PM. We'd be happy to assist throughout your dealer visit.
Alex
JeepCares

1 - 4 of 4 Posts