Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the beach in a Jeep since my late teens (and that was a long time ago). Back in those days everyone put tubes in their tires and ran at 12-15 psi. I now have a new 2 door with stock 255/75R17's. Beach ready? If so, how low can I safely go with the pressure? If not, recommendations? Tubes?

Phil

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm sure you can go lower tubeless than you did with tubes. Because you don't have to worry about pinching the tube, causing a flat.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
For a second I thought this thread was about lowering your JK :nonono: so I was going to pull up a chair and watch the fireworks.

Most tires will run 12-15 PSI easily and I personally would not go below 10 PSI. It's a pain to change a tire in soft sand. Just don't stop in really deep soft sand like dunes because those narrow tires may not provide enough floatation.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's funny. Kinda like a low rider Jeep. Imagine a Jeep in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTGrfs5TXM

Anyway...thanks for the replies, guys. The reason for the tubes back then was so if you lost the seal at the bead, you wouldn't lose pressure. I don't know if it actually works out that way, but that was the theory back then. So you think I'll be OK?

I also have to check the regs for what to carry on board. They used to require you to carry certain recovery gear. I'm sure they still do.

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts