Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how many regret not going to a 37" tire or completely satisfied with a 35". Rigs only used for mild city driving, trails and rock twice a month. Keep in consideration that I would love to hit Moab along with other BOH trails.

Locally and on trails I always hear "I wish I went with a 37" and really don't want to regret not making the jump. Would really like to hear how you all feel?

Have a previous post outlining my build and question:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/please-help-me-spend-my-money-2372179.html

·
Administrator
17,013 Posts
Here's my thoughts on the matter :)

Do you need the extra 1" of clearance that a 37" will give you over a 35"?? Or is it a "look" thing? No wrong answer here.

I've mentioned a million times what all has failed on my Jeep running 37s; ball joints, unit bearings, rear axle shafts, tie rod, drag link. Add to that things like drive shafts, brake kits, gussets and maybe some truss/sleeves make 37s a big jump in $$.

That said, my wife still wanted 37s on her Jeep despite the extra $$. She'll even admit it's mainly for the look, though she does wheel it and fairly hard too. So I totally get it if it's just for looks. But if it's only for the 1" additional clearance then a beefy engine/trans skid plate and some diff covers would serve you just as well for a fraction of the cost.

A good set of 35s, skid plates and winch will take you almost anywhere you want to go. But if you're chasing the "bigger/badder" Jeep then it's a never ending journey. First 37s, then 40s, then 42s, one ton axles along the way, hydro steer, Atlas TC, now LS3 swap to handle it all..... you get the point :)

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
We have 37's, but I could easily have been happy with 35's. Sure, it is easy to say that now. Part of my decision was based on the tire of choice for us running small (BFG KO2s). The 37" KO2 is under 36" in reality. Where as the 35" KO2 is under 34" in actual size. So I decided to go with the small 37's. If I was to switch tire brands, say to Nitto or Goodyear, we might go with a 35 if it is closer to an actual 35.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Here's my thoughts on the matter :)

Do you need the extra 1" of clearance that a 37" will give you over a 35"?? Or is it a "look" thing? No wrong answer here.

I've mentioned a million times what all has failed on my Jeep running 37s; ball joints, unit bearings, rear axle shafts, tie rod, drag link. Add to that things like drive shafts, brake kits, gussets and maybe some truss/sleeves make 37s a big jump in $$.

That said, my wife still wanted 37s on her Jeep despite the extra $$. She'll even admit it's mainly for the look, though she does wheel it and fairly hard too. So I totally get it if it's just for looks. But if it's only for the 1" additional clearance then a beefy engine/trans skid plate and some diff covers would serve you just as well for a fraction of the cost.

A good set of 35s, skid plates and winch will take you almost anywhere you want to go. But if you're chasing the "bigger/badder" Jeep then it's a never ending journey. First 37s, then 40s, then 42s, one ton axles along the way, hydro steer, Atlas TC, now LS3 swap to handle it all..... you get the point :)

Good luck! :thumb:
Yep - I'm in that boat now. My 35's will need replacing soon and I'm pondering 37's. I run with a lot of rigs on 37's and even 40's+ and there are quite a few fun obstacles they can run that I just can't.

Of course it doesn't help at all that my buddy just made the jump to 37's... I've got plenty of clearance with a 3.5" lift, but it's also that extra sidewall when airing down that will give you a ton more traction.

Oh yeah - love the look too :). Like you said - no wrong answer, just have to be ready to pay the price.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Tire sizes have always been trendy - I remember when 31”s were the tire to have, then 33”s, then 35”s, now 37”s.
Go check out the trails that you want to ride when they are busy, see what everyone has and how they perform...

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Tough question.

When I was on 35's I thought I was happy. There were still places I had problems and wanted or needed a bit more clearance. I really had not planned on going to 37's at all.

Then my luck changed and I fell into a new set of 37" KM3's. At that point, I decided to make the plunge. Beadlocks, HD steering components, PSC big bore steering box, high flow pump, Chromolly axles, etc. The totals will add up and the maintenance is more important now.

I'm not unhappy with this choice as I'm testing the Jeep and myself more and more. Obstacles I couldn't do before have a 50-50 chance of actually making it on my own.

The fact that they look badazz doesn't hurt either.

Reactions: Georgie Boy

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Tough question.

When I was on 35's I thought I was happy. There were still places I had problems and wanted or needed a bit more clearance. I really had not planned on going to 37's at all.

Then my luck changed and I fell into a new set of 37" KM3's. At that point, I decided to make the plunge. Beadlocks, HD steering components, PSC big bore steering box, high flow pump, Chromolly axles, etc. The totals will add up and the maintenance is more important now.

I'm not unhappy with this choice as I'm testing the Jeep and myself more and more. Obstacles I couldn't do before have a 50-50 chance of actually making it on my own.

The fact that they look badazz doesn't hurt either.
Man, free tires can be as expensive as a free cat / dog.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This may not be particularly helpful but I took Saints John Pass by Montezuma last week on stock 32" Wrangler SR-As and was surprised to find that not a single scratch on the vehicle resulted from the trail and I had no problems with traction: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/saints-john-trail

...and I had a blast! (22MPG on the way back home is also nice).

It's not a tough trail at all but with all the mods I would need because of my Dana 30 up front, getting 37's in a streetable and reliable setup would cost me as much as another JK. 35's and skid plates take you 95% there for 25-35% of the cost. I'll have to admit though, 37's look gorgeous with a 4.5" lift and a properly regeared JK is a lot of fun on the street too.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
When I started building my 13 Rubicon, I always had 37s in mind although I started out with 35s. When the gears were done I went with 4:88s and had the c gussets welded. Even though it only has a 2.5" lift with the flat fenders 37s will work. Now the 35s are pretty well used and new tires are in the foreseeable future.

I know that the 37s are only 1" more in clearance, but there is also other advantages. Aired down the footprint will be bigger to help wrap around rocks and the larger tire also helps with the approach / depart angles. How much? ..well every bit helps. Going from the stock 32s(?) to 35s made a big difference.

But now that the time is near, I am debating it. The 35s have served me well, but there are those times that I almost made it. Surly I would have if I had 37s. But I also see other jeeps running 37s and they break stuff. Knock on wood, I haven't broken a drive chain component with 35s. I think they broke stuff because: D30s, wrong gear ratio, 4" lift with bad drive line angles, or something other than the 37s.

So I have concluded that I will go with the BFG KM3 37s as a compromise being as the are probably closer to 36"

·
Registered
726 Posts
This may not be particularly helpful but I took Saints John Pass by Montezuma last week on stock 32" Wrangler SR-As and was surprised to find that not a single scratch on the vehicle resulted from the trail and I had no problems with traction: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/saints-john-trail

...and I had a blast! (22MPG on the way back home is also nice).

It's not a tough trail at all but with all the mods I would need because of my Dana 30 up front, getting 37's in a streetable and reliable setup would cost me as much as another JK. 35's and skid plates take you 95% there for 25-35% of the cost. I'll have to admit though, 37's look gorgeous with a 4.5" lift and a properly regeared JK is a lot of fun on the street too.
My friend and his family did similar a few years back, at Jeeptoberfest in a ZJ.

I agree with you completely.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I started with a WJ and did a 3" lift and 32s, loved that Jeep. Was a great all-around but was old and we wanted to step up, so we bought the JKU with intentions of going 37s. A few weeks later a good deal on 35s came up and we snagged the deal with intentions of building it and later running the 37s. So, here we are two years later with the 35s and it has done everything we asked of it and been a great vehicle on the road.

If I lived out west and did awesome trails multiple days a week then I would build something for that. But, I live in Ohio and there is not much wheeling around here. I have done a lot with my setup and can still tow a trailer and drive to work.

It comes down to what works for you.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Our neighbor has an older nicly done, tall lifted YJ with big tires. Yet our new stock JK Rubicon next to it looks basically the same tall. The JL appears even taller to begin with, yet people want to make them taller and bigger. Hmm.

As far as looks, 37s make our axles look like tooth picks, or like some fragile Aqua Cycle.

They just does not look right.

At least 37s would need thicker axles, which then would need a thicker frame and everything else bigger too. Basically if you want it to make it look like a big truck, then make all other parts of it in a big truck way too.

Just my 2 cent.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
What I have is 42" envy.

But since I need to keep my Jeep road-worthy, I'll work my way to 37" or 38" and that'll be it.
Then perhaps I'll buy a TJ with 1-ton axles as a trail rig...

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
So I have concluded that I will go with the BFG KM3 37s as a compromise being as the are probably closer to 36"
I broke stuff on 35's. The upgrades I made so far has kept me from braking stuff on 37's. I run a stock, non rubi rear axle with Chromolly shafts. My front is an aftermarket Core 44 with RCV shafts.

My KM3's measure at 36" with the weight of the Jeep on them. I may only have a 2 dr but it does carry a lot of weight on it. Plus I'm on 17" steel wheels with beadlock rings. You might need to move an axle back for 37's. I did in the rear. The front moved itself forward when I upgraded it.

Mounted, not on the Jeep, they were 36.5"

I'm on 3.25" lift and trimmed factory fenders. I have about an inch of room in the wheel wells at full flex. I run 2.5" bump stops in the rear and 2" bump stops in the front.

I really like the performance of the KM3's. I have Load Range D's but they are available in a Load Range C. I didn't have the part number of the C's when I submitted the order or I would have got the C's. I only found out about the C's a month after I ordered them but by then, it was too late.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
I broke stuff on 35's. The upgrades I made so far has kept me from braking stuff on 37's. I run a stock, non rubi rear axle with Chromolly shafts. My front is an aftermarket Core 44 with RCV shafts.

My KM3's measure at 36" with the weight of the Jeep on them. I may only have a 2 dr but it does carry a lot of weight on it. Plus I'm on 17" steel wheels with beadlock rings. You might need to move an axle back for 37's. I did in the rear. The front moved itself forward when I upgraded it.

Mounted, not on the Jeep, they were 36.5"

I'm on 3.25" lift and trimmed factory fenders. I have about an inch of room in the wheel wells at full flex. I run 2.5" bump stops in the rear and 2" bump stops in the front.

I really like the performance of the KM3's. I have Load Range D's but they are available in a Load Range C. I didn't have the part number of the C's when I submitted the order or I would have got the C's. I only found out about the C's a month after I ordered them but by then, it was too late.
Interesting. So by that it sounds like the new BFG KM3's don't continue the BFG trend of being undersized more than other brands.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I'm finally getting some bigger tires delivered to the house, hopefully my D44 will handle them. a little worried about the tire carrier to altho it's a TF it should be ok.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Interesting. So by that it sounds like the new BFG KM3's don't continue the BFG trend of being undersized more than other brands.
I was wondering the same. My KO2 "35's" are 33.75 mounted. I am pondering the 37" KM3 and was wondering if they ran small as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm finally getting some bigger tires delivered to the house, hopefully my D44 will handle them. a little worried about the tire carrier to altho it's a TF it should be ok.

Best MEME EVER!!!! Hahaha!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts