Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery is about 3 1/2 years old, so I'm looking at replacing it.
It's rated at 700 Cold Cranking Amps.

But according to the book at Wally's Mart, the battery should be rated for 660 CCAs.

How many CCAs is your battery rated for?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
My Diehard Platinum 3478-DT is rated at 850 CCA but there's a lot more to a battery than its CCA rating. If you offroad, its construction is more important than its CCA rating, so long as its CCA rating is adequate. The kind of battery construction that holds up best to the shocks and vibration of offroading is AGM or Absorbed Glass Mat... where the acid is in paste form that has been pressed into fiberglass matting... an AGM battery is solid with no liquid acid or lead plates suspended in that liquid acid that can break off & short out a cell.

I'd definitely stick with an AGM style battery if you offroad.

Of all the batteries out there, it's my opinion that the Diehard is the best bang for the $$$. It is an AGM battery with that above mentioned 850 CCA rating. Plus it has side posts that are suitable for connecting a winch to... something you can't do with an Optima battery.

If you look at the below illustration, it shows the construction difference between the AGM design of the Diehard Platinum vs. the Optima which has less battery per square inch. A telling point on that is the Group 34 Diehard Platinum weighs nearly 10 lbs. more than the Optima Group 34 which has the same exterior dimensions.

AGM Diehard Platinum on the left, Optima on the right. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That "unused battery space" sure says a lot.

The battery that they tried to sell me was in the 34 group, too.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The book is the minimum CCA recommended If you can get a higher rated battery it is usually to your advantage especially if you are running after mkt accs. [winch, lights, big sound ]. A better quality battery will generally have a higher rating than a cheap one go with the best you can afford

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The book is the minimum CCA recommended If you can get a higher rated battery it is usually to your advantage especially if you are running after mkt accs. [winch, lights, big sound ]. A better quality battery will generally have a higher rating than a cheap one go with the best you can afford
Then, in that case, the salesman was talking through his butt, because he told me if I put in a higher CCA battery than what was called for, this would void the warranty of the battery.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Lol Wallmart doesn't even check that stuff for warranty. Roommate took his in with receipt and they traded him straight across no questions asked. I have done the same with Costco.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts