Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done replacing rear pads and rotors (30K on the button and two chunks of my rotor fell off, what a pain in the @SS that was). I turned the brake adjusters all the way down and then turned them up until I got some resistance on the handle and about 6 clicks. Buttoned everything up and it would barely hold. Took it all back apart and readjusted the shoes to 5mm up on the adjuster and could just get the rotors back on, but there is no drag on the wheel so I guess it's good. Now it's 3 clicks and if I give it all little more it will click 4 times and seems to hold the Jeep just fine on normal inclines. Should I call it good?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have to pull my parking brake with all I've got to get it to hold. Going to try to adjust soon. Don't really trust it actually holding back on something steep.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mine is worthless...my Jeep rolled down rhe driveway and across the street and into my neighbor's fence. My driveway is quite steep - thought I had it far enough up (level spot).Nope. Thank god the fence was there... otherwise it would rolled down a 300' high hill into numerous houses. Did I mention it glanced off his BMW and nearly 25' fell off his wooden deck/driveway?
No damge to the BMW, my Jeep (except a lil paint). The fence needed a lil help, but no worries.

The Jeep was in 1st gr, and the ebrake set and off she went

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't trust it any further than I can spit!
Another design failure.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I put rear disks and pads on mine a couple of months ago. (Didn't really need to though. I had a full 1/3 of my pads left... even at 65,000 miles) Prior to that, my parking brake handle came all the way to the top of it's travel and would barely hold the Jeep in a slight incline.

I adjusted the star adjuster on the back brakes maybe five clicks. (I pushed one of the "star" points on the adjuster with a screw driver about five times). Now the handle comes up midway in its travel and stops very positively. It holds the Jeep well now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I put rear disks and pads on mine a couple of months ago. (Didn't really need to though. I had a full 1/3 of my pads left... even at 65,000 miles) Prior to that, my parking brake handle came all the way to the top of it's travel and would barely hold the Jeep in a slight incline.

I adjusted the star adjuster on the back brakes maybe five clicks. (I pushed one of the "star" points on the adjuster with a screw driver about five times). Now the handle comes up midway in its travel and stops very positively. It holds the Jeep well now.
Yup...tried that...no dice. Even replaced the handle and tried the Aussie spring trick...the parking brake is a pos.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've never trusted the weak E brake on JKs. Better off buying a couple of wheels chalks and calling it good.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Just got done replacing rear pads and rotors (30K on the button and two chunks of my rotor fell off, what a pain in the @SS that was). I turned the brake adjusters all the way down and then turned them up until I got some resistance on the handle and about 6 clicks. Buttoned everything up and it would barely hold. Took it all back apart and readjusted the shoes to 5mm up on the adjuster and could just get the rotors back on, but there is no drag on the wheel so I guess it's good. Now it's 3 clicks and if I give it all little more it will click 4 times and seems to hold the Jeep just fine on normal inclines. Should I call it good?
If the brakes are not dragging when off and 4 clicks are enough to hold the jeep i would say very good.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I pretend like it's not even a feature in my JEEP totally worthless on a manual. I have to always be cognizant of where I park and how I park or I might damage property or worse injure someone. My parking brake is gone after one take off attempt by me while the brake was on and that was long ago. I replaced my pads but left the rotor alone really I don't think it does any good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My ebrake will hold my JK if I try to drive off with it still on. I still never leave the Jeep on any incline without it being in 1st or reverse.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I adjusted my 2011 so that the rotors just start to drag with lever in the down position. When I pull it up all the way up to the stop it will hold on level ground but certainly not on a steep incline. Nothing much you can do other than parking in first or reverse every time.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I use mine a lot, especially in cities like SF.
Park on automatics isn't strong, my jeep was pushed back by a "nice" lady on a Parking lot like nothing hold it. IDK eater parking disengaged or slipped but the jeep moved 1/2 feet back. I would suggest using e-brake even on slight inclines with AT.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a brake spoon since my e brake has been terrible as well. Now I'll be sure to check the pads as well. Anyone have better luck just getting new pads?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Take a look at how narrow and thin those shoes are... even the fact that they are only 'glued' on.. "PARKING BRAKE" . Ha !!
"E-brake" certainly not !!
Be sure to aim it at a curb or tree (preferably very close, as not to gain any momentum) to be sure your baby is still in the vicinity of where you left her.
Mine holds for NOT and I grew up with 4 wheel drums..

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just adjusted mine when I did axle shafts. I just turned em "some" - after watching some of the vids.

How they'd expect anyone to be able to set both of 'em equally is beyond me.

So hard to turn (and they are in opposite directions) - you really sorta lose count as to how man clicks.. or where one side might be in reference to the other.

Adjusted "some"... it's "better" - not great.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Four clicks and it’s close. One more hard tug and the fifth click holds her in place.

·
Registered
426 Posts
depends, which is weird. Some days it only takes 3-4 clicks, then one extra just in case. Other days, it feels looser than going potty after a night of binge drinking....takes about 6-7 or so clicks then. I use it, but I think it just makes me feel like I'm doing something.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts