Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I'm looking to do a full rebuild on my 4.0 which is getting close to the 200,000 mark but runs like a champ still. How many miles have you guys put on your 4.0 w/out having done major repairs?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Only a little over 143,000 now. No oil burning.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love hearing these numbers! My 2006 (purchased in '07) has about 48K miles on it now. Obviously not my daily driver...but I told my wife when I got it I was basically buying my casket (as in keeping it forever).

·
Banned
613 Posts
Drive it till it breaks, don't rebuild it before that.

A properly maintained and never overheated 4.0 can be expected to go over 200k before major work.....If she then still has good compression and not burning oil, just keep going

If at 100k, you still have great compression and not burning oil, then install new top quality water pump and timing chain and gears, and spark plugs and wires, belt and other minor stuff.

Take care to prevent overheating and cooling system corrosion, and keep your oil fresh...you'll be fine

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yup, just stay on top of the oil changes... I've seen over 500,000 miles on some here in the service department still running strong!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've always heard that these 4.0L motors were bullet proof and know several people with it that have 200,000+ and going strong.

Guy down the road from that owns a tree cutting service has over 400,000 miles on his daily driver and it still runs like a champ and I know he doesn't take the world's best care of his vehicle.

My Jeep only has 118,300 miles on it and compression is still spot on and hasn't burned a drop of oil in the 5 years I've had it.

Yep,
Last to long and not built anymore, just like the 3800 motors in my Pontiac Grand Prix!!

·
Premium Member
7,919 Posts
Same song another verse...'04 160K only issues water pump and thermostat..about 130k changed the clutch..no oil use good gas mileage IMO for a JEEP.. take care of her she'll last!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I wish they'd made the frame and the rest of the Jeep to last as long as the 4.0 without rusting out. I'm not replacing or overhauling my engine until it goes bad, but if I were going a major build like a Brute conversion I might do it early to start fresh...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Lol all these posts about their engine not burning oil.... My 2002 has 37,000 miles on it and burns about 1.5 quarts every 5,000 miles, but she keeps going strong!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
jeepwayoflife said:
Lol all these posts about their engine not burning oil.... My 2002 has 37,000 miles on it and burns about 1.5 quarts every 5,000 miles, but she keeps going strong!
God damn. Mine leaks a little from the oil pan seal. But doesn't burn any. What did you do to that poor engine?!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
jherrington said:
God damn. Mine leaks a little from the oil pan seal. But doesn't burn any. What did you do to that poor engine?!
Im scared to know what the PO did to it... I do full synthetic oil change every 3,000 miles with Fram Tough Guard filter. It also worries me because it doesn't leak any, it burns it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What do you guys mean by compression? I have a 2003 with 55k miles. Runs perfect but I wanna make sure I keep her goin as long as possible.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts