Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.0 5 speed and looking at lifts, I am currently sitting on 31's but I really do like the looks of 33's. I know 33's will reduce my power but is it a really bad notice? It is a Weekend Warrior so it won't see much highway miles and I don't really want to invest in a re-gear.

Just wondering how many other Jeepers run 33's on their stock gears? (I'm pretty sure mine are 3.73)

·
Registered
304 Posts
:wavey:I do I do. lol I have 285/75-16's which is a 33, stock 3.73's and a 3spd auto. Runs good.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
With the 5 speed its a little easier to deal with the power loss as you have a little more power to start. I've got a few friends running 35s on 3:73 and yeah they are slow on the highway but fine every where else

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I've been running 33x12.50x15 for 2 years now with my 4.0 automatic. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
285's on 3.07 for 2 years, daily driven all that time too. Now running 4.88's, much nicer but it was fine before. No 5th gear and slow to take off but livable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
takeitoutandplaywithit said:
Dont do it... Sloppy Trans and shakes the heck out of the truck. Find a guy upgrading his 4cyl. Buy his gears and carriers they are 4.10 stock perfect swap.
My 4 cyl has 3.73 stock, are 4.10's stock on manuals? Mines auto.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
takeitoutandplaywithit said:
Dont do it... Sloppy Trans and shakes the heck out of the truck. Find a guy upgrading his 4cyl. Buy his gears and carriers they are 4.10 stock perfect swap.
The whole axle would probably be easier to swap

superbufmike said:
My 4 cyl has 3.73 stock, are 4.10's stock on manuals? Mines auto.
All 4 cyl came with 4.10s. Those gears must have been swapped

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the I6, 5 speed, 33s and 3.73 gears. I run my rig daily back and forth to work and such. I never use 5th gear simply because it makes me go slower. There are some small hills here on the California central coast and sometimes they slow me down to the point I have to shift back to 3rd gear (gas pedal to the floor and still slowing down). I will re-gear one day but it still works, just a little frustrating every once in a while.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm running 33s with 3.07s. Other that 6th gear being useless, and 5th is only good for interstate speeds, it does fine. I eventually plan on 4.56s, but for now, it does fine. I can take off in 1st with very little throttle, so it isn't like I have to rev it up and ride the clutch. It does fine offroad, as well, but we don't do much rock crawling in Mississippi.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know everyone is saying it will really slow down for hills. However, I live in the north GA mountains could this be problematic for me or would I just stay in a lower gear?

I also have the Sahara Edition which I believe comes stock with 3.73. (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I have 3.73)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I run 33s with standard 3.73 gearing, 4ltr 6cyl, and goes fine , need to change down a bit more often on open road but not too bad really, off road is fine , absolutely no complaints.
Maybe a bit harder on the clutch if it's a standard one, I'll be putting in a heavy duty one when mine goes, am occasionally getting a shudder when moving off from intersection or lights.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts