Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a decent deal on a 98 TJ with 4.0L engine. Only 138k miles and appears to be in good shape. Hopefully going to take a look this weekend. I currently have a 93 YJ with the ol 4 banger and I told myself I wasn't going to lift it and all because it was just a spare car but I am at that point where I want to. I know with the kind of lift and tires I want I would need to re gear in the 4 banger and its going to be a decent chunk of change. Just wondering how many YJ people have dumped them and gone with the TJ for reasons like this or others?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I would go with the tj for sure if its got a 4.0 in it. The suspension is much better offroad as well as on road thanks to the coil springs and control arms. You will have better aftermarket support and parts like lift kits will likely be cheaper than those for a yj. The engine will probably be the biggest difference, and the ability to go with 33" tires without *needing* to Regear is nice (although you should to restore MPG and power).

If you are looking to set the jeep up for offroad use with larger than stock tires, make sure the jeep you buy has a dana 44 rear end.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had a 95 YJ 4 banger with 33's and it was a hog. I hated it and didn't want to regear because the engine was still crap. So i sold my YJ and got a '00 TJ with a 4.0 and 35's. I would pick coil springs over the leaf any time. I hate the rough ride with the leafs. Also you have a bigger market for parts like Jeepwayoflife said.

Now though I'm thinking of selling my TJ to get a JK rubi...:hide:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Im going to try and sell my YJ and then look into getting a 4.0l TJ.
I would like a TJ 4.0L someday especially a auto sahara...but way too expensive! I can buy 2 YJs for the price of a 4.0L TJ! YJs share alot of stuff with a CJ7, I even put a CJ front clip on my YJ with 5.9L dana 60s etc...
YJs seem like the red headed step child of the Wrangler world but they are the 1st generation and a awesome bargain!

·
Registered
14 Posts
They might be an awesome bargain, but when I have to put my TJ on the highway I never miss my old YJ ('93 4.0).

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I started with a 93 YJ sport, and lost it in a divorce. Then I ran a 1979 CJ5 for about 4 years and loved it. I now have a 97 Sport and I would not even consider a leaf spring again.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I was commuting 100 miles a day with my YJ that had 200K on it and everything was original. But 5th gear was gone, no heat for 2 years and it needed a new windshield. Ordered a brand new TJ in 04 and gave my YJ to my nephew to play with. I never looked back and still driving the TJ.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
The last few years with the 4.0HO are a very nice jeep

I have one with auto and column shift and it is solid and reliable at 180k miles

Only complaint is I don't care for the CAD

Also full door locks are flimsy inside and occasionally need repair but I do like the vent windows on the full doors

Square headlights are fine and considering I started with a flathead six jeep station wagon the yj is nice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts