Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me give a little history. I had a mechanic to rebuild my rear axle bearings. He said he had to use some sort of different bearing because my axle shaft was in bad shape. So now I am having a popping noise. I took it back and he said it needed more friction modifier. That quieted it down some but not all the way. This weekend I pulled the differential cover off and found metal slivers in the oil. So I pulled the axle shaft on the driver side. I have the outer oil seal out and the bearing came out in pieces with the bearing case still in the axle tube. Here is where it gets strange I can feel an inner oil seal inside the axle tube and the FSM says nothing about an inner oil seal for my axle. I have the Dana 35c 195RBI axle. I have made a tool to insert into the axle opening and behind the inner seal with a slide hammer to knock the inner seal and the bearing case out all at once. The thing I don’t understand is why doesn’t the FSM say anything about the inner seal or is this something this dude put in that doesn’t belong there. Either way I am pretty sure the rear axle is shot. I would like to know for future knowledge. If anybody can offer any advice I would appreciate it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts