Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many YJ's out there still have the heavy rubber splash guard under the engine compartment from the radiator back to the oil pan? I can't decide whether to try to remount it or go ahead and remove it.......

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I just bought a 91 that has it..never knew that one existed before and have owned several yj's..never had any overheating problems with the others so it must not be needed

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is holding on by 2 push pins and resting on my vacuum lines to the front diff. I'm sure it helps keep rain or water off of the distributor??

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Mine used to be there... til I took it thru some mud... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
It fell down on my 91, a few of the push grommets came out or the holes got too large. Not knowing I could just ditch it, I purchased some very long plastic lock ties and strapped it back in using the frame as the support.

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I got my YJ a couple months ago it was still there, barely hanging on. I went ahead and pulled it and set it aside for now.

I've considered fabbing one out of sheet metal to put back in there but I haven't decided if I really need it or not.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My '91 still has them. I looked and reattached some of the pins that came out. But they are all there and all flaps intact!

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Most of my splash guards are gone. Some have mentioned it was good for water crossings kept the water from popping up in engine bay and would help produce a bow wake. Not much water in the desert here in Nevada.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You can get in a lot of trouble here in Oregon for crossing water.

I've seen places (wheeling places) shut down because they had a stream in them.

Even privately owned wheeling spots have been shut down because the "stream" aka ditch feeds a river.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
any one have pics,. i have never seen what you are talking about,,,
but it sounds kinda like what im thinking about fabing up to keep mud from coming up and into my engine...
thanks if ya can,,

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's really hard to get a good shot of the under splash guard due to all the linkage in the way without being on a lift. I did my best. The better shot is the side guards.
Basically is a 3/16-1/4 rubber that protects the engine compartment from debris. Held in place by flimsy plastic grommets. I must say for mine being 22 years old she still has her skirt on!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
thank you very much for taking your time to post the pics, for me...

thats what i have been thinking about fabing, i love mud, but i hat cleaning my engine compartment..--lol..

with your help i now see where to begin my fabbing...
thanks again...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nothing but a jeep thang BAP, if you need more or any questions holler away!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts