Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how many Wrangler owners keep a second vehicle. I'm not talking about another car for your spouse - I'm talking about two vehicles for a single driver but for different purposes. I'm mulling the combination of a 3 series and four door Wrangler. Each serves a different purpose. 3 series gets better gas mileage and offers more creature comforts on a longer commute (70 miles round trip). Wrangler offers... well you know already, but I'm also looking at it as a larger vehicle as my household can clearly use one. Looking to hear some opinions from people that may have had a similar situation present itself. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Count me in. 04' rubicon is used offroad and on fair weather days, impreza wagon is my commuter. Between fuel economy and modifications/repairs on jeeps, I find it too stressful to try and count on them as a daily driver.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
2017 Ram Rebel is my Jeep tow vehicle, ride for when the Jeep is apart and being messed with, and winter vehicle for November to April while the Jeep is in storage away from salt.

I also have a 2004 Grand Prix that I may get running again (head gasket leaking, rack blew out and the evap canister failed) so that I can not drive the truck so much in the salt as well.

Wife has a 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk. Daughter has a 2004 Grand Cherokee. My spare RAM Truck / Grand Prix can be placed into the hands of my ladies as needed or if needed.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Nope this is my only vehicle and it does everything from getting groceries to touring the US. I will purchase a second vehicle for long distance trips to visit family and the like just for better mpg.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I was a two car guy until last spring. I had a 2012 Mustang GT that I did a lot of work on, but the roads in D.C. destroyed the suspension. The late winter - spring pot holes are just a killer on sports cars in this region. I also got rear-ended in it two years ago. I went under it to do some work on it one morning... Put it up for sale an hour later. I took the cash to pay off most of the Jeep.

Probably within the next 2 years I'll get something like the new Mercedes E400 coupe as the comfortable family cruiser. The Mercedes is damn good looking, and my Mustang cured my sport-car/horsepower bug, it was making over 650 at the wheel.

The Jeep will always be my main daily driver.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My JKUR is my daily driver, but kept my 2010 Acura RDX when I bought the Jeep. I take the Acura on long family road trips beyond a 3-4 hour drive. To me, I actually prefer the comfort of the Jeep front seats, but the kids prefer the Acura's back seat. Soft top is a little noisy on highway but not enough to bother me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nah, I drive about 4,500 miles per year and we have as close to perfect weather here as is possible in the U.S.

No need for anything else. On longer trips, we just take the wife's Lexus.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
Our Wrangler is our second vehicle. Actually, it is our third vehicle. It is the fun weekend toy. Then there are the motorcycles.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
'17 JKURHR is my daily driver. Keep a 2003 Suburban 4x4 for pulling trailers; too old to get a good trade-in price. I cannot ever live without either a full-size pickup truck or a something like a Suburban. Don't need them often, but when I do, I gotta have it. Looked at another Suburban late last year, but I didn't want to pay $74K. Somehow, paying almost $50K for a Jeep didn't seem so bad. I guess the fun factor allows for a higher price tag.:happyyes:

Traded in the Mustang GT for the Jeep. Wife drives a Ford Edge Sport and we have another JK Rubicon for my son. Four vehicles . . . four insured vehicles, OUCH!

My plan is to never sell this Jeep; it'll be my retirement vehicle. Last year of the JK's and a nice Rubicon package . . . a keeper!

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I have a 2016 RAM 1500 4x4 to haul stuff and driving when I am modding the Jeep.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Having owned several large sedans along with a large truck and van at the same time I often wonder how I afforded the up keep of all those vehicles at one time.

Now I only have the JKU. It has 140k on it and is still going strong. I drive it everyday and every where. It goes on a couple of 1000k mile round trips a year. I do wonder which major component will go first trans or engine but being hand with a wrench it doesn't bother me either way.

I have had to borrow my mom's Compass to transport a physically challenged sibling but that's the only time.

I bought a trailer so I didn't miss having my truck and all is well with that.

Having been in my Jeep for five straight years I haven't once wished I owned something else.

Reactions: Eddiejafo

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'm single.. Besides the Wrangler I have three other vehicles... All of them for a specific purpose.

A 2012 Hyundai Accent Econo box gas Miser. Gets a real 40 MPG on the highway
A 1998 4X4 Ford F-150 with a full 8 foot bed for hauling stuff
A 1990 Trans Am GTA with a 5.7 Liter V8 for hauling ass... :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The JKU is my primary vehicle, but I have had others as an alternate. Had an S2000, CRZ, and now an Audi TT rag as the rocket. Though with AWD perhaps the TT has better off-road credit than my Wrangler... ha ha...

·
Registered
373 Posts
64 Corvette Coupe
88 Corvette Conv.
99 Ford F-350 with camper
2001 Boom Trike (German)
2012 Jeep JKR
2013 Harley Tri Glide
2014 Harley Tri Glide
2015 Grand Cherokee Overland
2016 Thor Ace Class A Motorhome

Maybe this is why my JKR has only 17,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My JKU is my daily ('cus it's new) but I still have my '05 SRT-4 and my '99 Dakota R/T. I'm single and didn't really need a 3rd vehicle (the other two are still low mileage and clean) but they all have different purposes or excel at different things. Besides, the first two have long since been paid off and the JKU is only $160 a month (large down payment!). Plus I just like them all to much to get rid of them, and all 3 have my name on the window sticker so legally I can't sell them :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm single.. Besides the Wrangler I have three other vehicles... All of them for a specific purpose.

A 2012 Hyundai Accent Econo box gas Miser. Gets a real 40 MPG on the highway
A 1998 4X4 Ford F-150 with a full 8 foot bed for hauling stuff
A 1990 Trans Am GTA with a 5.7 Liter V8 for hauling ass... :)
Sweet! I love GTA's, I used to have an '88 with the L98. Great car, handled way better than my 4th gen Formula, but the Formula is WAY faster.

To the OP, I have two vehicles, though one is not a Jeep as of yet.

'07 Volvo XC70, my daily driver and mountainbiking / camping support vehicle
'00 Firebird Formula. My "fun" car. I mainly just take the T-tops off and cruise around by the beach, I only do a few hundred miles a year. I've thought of selling it, but I would probably miss it.

IF/WHEN I get a Jeep, I may keep the Volvo...with almost 200k, there's not much trade in there, but it probably could go another 100k, easy, so it could maintain DD duty as to keep the miles off the Jeep. I do about 400/wk.

Of course insurance and registration start to add up in that scenario, and my neighbors would LOVE me, taking up 3 street spaces with my vehicles.

But two cars, yeah, I'm a big believer in having 2 cars. It's great to have a spare if one goes into the shop or whatever.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My daily driver is my 2016 Silverado LTZ. I bought the Jeep for its intended purpose of off roading. I can't imagine wanting to drive something like that on a daily basis unless it's off road. My wife gets the Hyundai Sonata.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a 2012 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat that I bought new. It has 50k miles on it and is still like new. It sits outside and I drive it on days when it is going to rain so I can keep the Wrangler in the garage with the top down pretty much year round....

It is like having the best of both worlds as my tastes have changed and I like trucks more than sports cars.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
How many Wrangler owners keep a second vehicle?
Not here. Our JK is my wife's DD and her only vehicle. I have a car, a motorcycle and a handful of road bicycles, all of which are driven/ridden to work on occasion. If her JK needs to be in the shop overnight I can switch my mode of transportation around and she can use my car for a day or two.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts