Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in australia were aloud the crd engine. But when i bought my jeep i was in a rush. So i didnt search around for a diesel. My question is how hard to do a full swap eith a petrol 6 speed manual? Since iv done lots of work to my jeep now. But would love not worring sbout rivers and to have the low down torque.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Strange question to ask on a forum where the majority of users have never seen a diesel JK :)

How hard to change? quite, as the engine is controlled by the computer and the computer is tied into a lot more than just the engine, so it would have to be enabled and reprogrammed by a Dealer. Dont know if there are many / any that would help.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Easiest thing to do is look at the Jeep's maintenance manual and start examining the driveline, suspension and the bits under the hood for different part numbers. That'll give you an idea of all the hardware that Jeep engineers thought needed to be different between the two. My rough guess?

You'll want different springs, maybe shocks, new motor mounts, new transmission, upgraded cooling system, new exhaust...might need new mounts for all of those as well...depending on what skid plating you have, that might need to change.

You'll want the dimensions and to take a gander under the hood to see what ancillary components, if any, need to move (brake fluid resevoirs, washer fluid, fuse box, battery tray, and the like). If you have an sPod or a snorkel or added bits under the hood you'll want to make sure their current location will work with the new engine or be prepared to remount them as well.

You might want to PM the Bruiser guys on here...they can likely give you a feel for the scope of work if not the exact details (different engine). Honestly, easier route would probably be trade what you have for what you want...unless you do all the work yourself and get a smoking deal on the parts, it's likely to be less expensive and surely less time consuming.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts