Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the middle of somewhere far from my hometown and I paid $100 for a synthetic oil change!!!

It came with free checkups, just like most others right?!

Is it easy to do on your own, how?

Thats was a crazy price for a synthetic oil change

·
Registered
403 Posts
Look for a thread I began in November, I did my first oil change myself ever and posted tips. Very easy to do, and cost me much less than 100.

Truth be told, I guess the first one cost me a bit more, as I had to buy a funnel, oil pan, and proper socket to remove the oil filter.

That said, future changes will only cost me the oil (Walmart) and filter (Amazon).

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's super easy to do yourself. Our Jeeps have cartridge style filters which pop in from the top. Easy to get to and very clean. All you have to do is pull the drain plug underneath and replace it when done. With decent ground clearance, everything is easy to get to. If you have a place to do it, a DIY oil change only takes about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Easy to do yourself... but I still pay 20-25 bucks for a chain shop (firestone, midas, etc) to do it. I don't bother with synthetic since I change the oil every 3K anyway. It costs about that much for oil and a filter.

Mike

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I've changed my own oil on all my vehicles for as long as I can remember, but I just let the dealer do it now, got sick of doing it(plus I am getting older/fatter/lazier), plus I don't have to worry about fights when it comes to the warranty. I just go with the conventional oil they supply, and have them change it every 5000....My first two changes were free, but I think its now $48.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I run synthetic in mine and do my own oil changes. I can get the oil occasionally on sale for $30 bucks. Filter from dealer $10-12. When oil is not on sale it is $50.

$100 is the average price of a synthetic oil change at most shops. My shop charges about $80. Synthetic is expensive and someone has to get paid to do it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I do my own synthetic oil changes on my 2014 around every 4000 miles. Super simple. 13mm socket for drain plug, 24mm socket for filter cover, 6 quarts of Pennzoil 5w20, Mopar filter, and 20 minutes of time. Get the oil at Walmart, it usually runs about $28 in MA for the oil. Get your Mopar filters online in 6 packs, it's way cheaper. Doing it yourself let's you get underneath and check for other issues at the same time. It's how I found a leaking timing chain cover and saved myself a soon to be breakdown. Not a bad idea to get I the habit of a 5 tire rotation at the same time as your oil changes too.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
It's embarrassingly easy to do yourself in a JK.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Oils changes are easy BUT tire rotations are a pia. Every time I get my oil changed , I get the tires rotated, and the dealer cleans the vehicle. Cost $39, and they take me to work and pick me up

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Oils changes are easy BUT tire rotations are a pia. Every time I get my oil changed , I get the tires rotated, and the dealer cleans the vehicle. Cost $39, and they take me to work and pick me up
Meh, it's a good workout.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Incredibly easy to do, but I manage to stretch it out to a good hour long process just to enjoy the peaceful garage time!

·
Registered
112 Posts
But i forgot to add, that i look for mobile 1
5w-20 on sale at o'reillys and usually i get out of there with oil and filter for under $50

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Dealer threw in 4 yrs of free oil changes with purchase. Best part is they can be redeemed at any jeep dealership.
"Free"

Incredibly easy to do, but I manage to stretch it out to a good hour long process just to enjoy the peaceful garage time!
That's doing it right.

·
Registered
293 Posts
To the OP I think $100 wasn't too bad for synthetic as long as they were thorough. I take care or all service myself for one simple reason, I cant seem to trust anyone. A good oil change should include a safety check around the jeep and a check of all fluids including tranny, transfer case, front and rear diffs.

I like to take my time and look around. It prevents more expensive issues. Its a good time to rotate tires and check all fluid levels. Plus I always carry a can of Fluid Film underneath with me and touch up any trouble spots.

For me servicing my JK is truly mental therapy. :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts