Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I put solid brand diff covers on today and I put 3 1/2 quarts of fluid in the rear diff and checked it and it wasn't touching my finger. I don't want to over fill but I don't want to under fill either. Is this enough or do I need to add more?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
3 and 1/2 is probably over filled. Factory spec is 2.3 quarts. I have PSC bombshells and with 2.3 quarts i was able to feel it with my pinky

·
Registered
193 Posts
2.3 is full. The reason you can't hit oil with your finger is because aftermarket covers like this place the fill opening higher on the cover. That is so you can still fill the diff on a axle that has been rotated to match the drive shaft angle when there is a high lift. You have way over filled it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a little over 2 quarts in the front diff and you could feel it with your pinky? Is the front over filled also?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
All it can do is cause a leak by over pressuring the diff and causing oil to blow past an axle seal or come out the vent tube. There also is a small chance that you can blow one of the axle or the pinion seals causing one to fail. Most of the time one will leak till it "finds its level" then stops if it is over full. Then again sometimes they will run overfull and never leak a drop.

·
Registered
34,429 Posts
My front 44 with a riddler cover I put 1.5 plus the additive. And my rear 44 with a ARB cover I put 2 and the additive. I have over 70,000 on my rubi axles and no problem. My buddy who works at the dealer said to put the additive in with the rubi lockers it is not just for LSD.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
You would have ti really overfill to fill up the axle tubes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts