Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm constantly dreaming of upgrading to a newer Jeep, I'm constantly reminded of how poor I actually am. I'm just curious as to how much you all think the price of the JK's will be lowered after the new JL is released. Maybe some Jeep Veterans can chime in and use their past experiences of the previous model changes to input their opinion. Obviously it's a Jeep so it's not going to drop that much. Just a curious question I have!
Cheers!:beerdrinking:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I honestly don't think they will impact the JK prices much, if at all to be honest. Older TJ's sold and continue to sell for pretty high prices despite being pretty old at this point (in comparison to other vehicles of similar age and mileage). Jeeps don't play by the same resale values as other vehicles. And honestly if Jeep continues to increase the prices of new Wranglers year after year it will further help hold values of the current Jeeps.

I know that was probably the exact opposite of the answer you want to hear, but just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would be very surprised. I would expect a new model to be higher in cost, but I don't think it will impact the prices of the jk.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Doubt it. Look at TJ's and LJ's. You can still find them in good condition for $16-$18k. 07-11 JK's are right there too. If anything, I think the 07-11's might go down a bit, but not much.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think you could see the opposite happen, the value of JKs could go up if the JL goes away from the solid front axle like rumors have said.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
^^^...Agreed, it's really going to depend on whether or not the new JL stays true to the Wranglers roots.

If the solid axle goes away, the front window becomes even more raked and does not have the fold down option anymore and the tops and doors become non removable as well just to name a few possibilities then you'd basically have just another suv and the value of all Wranglers CJ, YJ, TJ/LJ and JK's all go up for sure and become quite collectible.

Of course if the JL is another awesome Wrangler then all the older models will still hold their value very well as they always have they just won't become crazy collectible.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It depends on a lot of variables. Probably the biggest determining factor will be how well the JL is received. One thing that you do have going for you is that Jeep sales have increased quite a bit. With that said, there will come a time when there is going to be far more being sold in the used market, and that will lower prices somewhat. This will run counter to the limited amount of clean, well cared for older (think pre JK) models that are on the market today, which makes them more expensive. It all boils down to supply and demand. Best way to get a deal IMO is to save as much as possible for a down payment (saves on bank interest) and if you can live without the latest and greatest, buy one after a major and desirable change comes out. For example, when the 12's hit the market with 3.6, the price of the 3.8's did tend to show that. However, Jeep being Jeep, also do your homework and don't save a nickel to spend a dollar by picking up one of the years that is known for being more problematic. Hang in there. You'll find something!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Another factor to consider:

Keep in mind that the JL will have to compete with whatever Defender variant Land Rover introduces to the US.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always wanted the 2012 Gecko, I just don't know what a good price range for it would be for a used one, I can find that out with the research though. What would the be the pros/cons of the IFS? I've heard that they're getting rid of the front windshield hinges, but the doors? Nah, that's why they made the Renefake.... I mean Renegade.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've always wanted the 2012 Gecko, I just don't know what a good price range for it would be for a used one, I can find that out with the research though. What would the be the pros/cons of the IFS? I've heard that they're getting rid of the front windshield hinges, but the doors? Nah, that's why they made the Renefake.... I mean Renegade.
My advice on the 12 would be to do your research. I don't know as much as many on here about the specifics of the 12, but I know there are both good ones and ones to avoid. I believe manufacture dates are the way to sort this out. They are prone to head gasket problems. Jeep reinforced the warranty on some, if not all of them, but I don't know if that is transferrable or not? Regardless of your choice, if you end up buying one, being in the know on this certainly won't hurt your ability to negotiate with a dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My advice on the 12 would be to do your research. I don't know as much as many on here about the specifics of the 12, but I know there are both good ones and ones to avoid. I believe manufacture dates are the way to sort this out. They are prone to head gasket problems. Jeep reinforced the warranty on some, if not all of them, but I don't know if that is transferrable or not? Regardless of your choice, if you end up buying one, being in the know on this certainly won't hurt your ability to negotiate with a dealer.
That was going to be my next question; A+ on the mind reading! I don't know too much about buying vehicles, but would buying a certified pre-owned mean that the Jeep as already been inspected and cleared for that head problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That was going to be my next question; A+ on the mind reading! I don't know too much about buying vehicles, but would buying a certified pre-owned mean that the Jeep as already been inspected and cleared for that head problem?
Any dealer can check the warranty to see if the head has been repaired. The CPOV is more or less a basic inspection.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Certified normally means that a vehicle meets a certain criteria for the dealer to give some extra warranty on it. The head gasket issue you asked about would be something you would have to investigate and read the fine print to verify. Most of the time vehicles only get certified if they are of a recent year and under so many miles... They inspect them, probably more thoroughly than others, and if the vehicle passes the tests, it gets "certified" and the dealer includes a warranty that goes above and beyond the original manufacturers warranty. I have also been told that it costs a dealer to certify the vehicle, so in reality, that extra cost to the dealer has to be built into the selling price. I won't say certified vehicles are bad, but in my opinion, it boils down to marketing. If a person wants the peace of mind of a warranty, they can either pay for it in a hidden fashion by purchasing a "certified" vehicle, or they can pay for it afterward by just buying additional warranty coverage separate from the cost of the vehicle transaction.

So, if you see two identical 2010 Jeeps and one costs 18,000 and is certified, and one costs 17,000 and a person can buy a warranty for another grand, is there really a difference?

Truth be told, if you are looking for the absolute best deal out there, I would get pre-approved at a credit union (not bank - credit unions will almost always offer better interest) and try to find something private party. Of course, inspect the vehicle or if you need to, have a reputable shop do the inspection, but private party does not require paying all of the overhead that a dealer has, and prices almost always reflect that.

One of the few advantages a dealer can offer the consumer (in some states, at least) is that the buyer won't be taxed on the trade value of a vehicle. Example being if a buyer trades a Jeep for $15,000 toward another Jeep at $20,000, they only get taxed on the difference of $5,000. At 5% tax that would be a savings of $750 in my state, at least. It does vary by state. However, every car dealer is trying to make at least a couple thousand dollars on each vehicle they sell to cover overhead and make profit, so that needs to be considered by the buyer whether whatever they are offering is worth the added expense!

There is tons of info out there these days, so read up and be ready before making what is normally one of the largest purchases most people ever make! Additionally, read up on the sales tactics that dealers use before walking in and singing your life away! Some are fair, but most will do whatever they can to get as much as possible.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I think you could see the opposite happen, the value of JKs could go up if the JL goes away from the solid front axle like rumors have said.
The JL has been confirmed to have solid axles for some time now.

Another factor to consider:

Keep in mind that the JL will have to compete with whatever Defender variant Land Rover introduces to the US.
The Defender will still sell for Land Rover money. It may steal some of the more wealthy image customers (which is a shockingly large group for JKs) but I can't see it being a big player.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It seems many Jeepers are resistant to change, and the big GOV is making changes, so I wouldn't bank on a price drop. As others suggested, it could cause an increase. Another guess: Jeeps sell so well, if/when production is throttled back, JKs will disappear creating a buzz. Shortages create even more demand: think 22LR

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It seems many Jeepers are resistant to change, and the big GOV is making changes, so I wouldn't bank on a price drop. As others suggested, it could cause an increase. Another guess: Jeeps sell so well, if/when production is throttled back, JKs will disappear creating a buzz. Shortages create even more demand: think 22LR
They may be resistant to change and it seems like some throw a fit with every redesign but from CJ to YJ, YJ to TJ and TJ to JK there have been massive sales gains every time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's been reported that the JL will have solid axles and a steel body, but I haven't found where there is confirmation that the top and doors will be removable. That would be a killer for a lot of their market. It could increase the value of JKs... And TJs for that matter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts