Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my new g2 axle came with instructions that stated that for most applications, driveshaft length will need to be shortened. And that it could cause pinion bearing failure. I hadn't ever heard of anyone running into this before on the forum. (Maybe my search skills are off today?) But a few questions. My plan was to try out the new tf high angle joint with the stock shafts until now.

1. I am lifted 3.5 inches. I think the difference in the pinion on the new shaft isn't much different than that. How much does a couple inches matter?

2. Do I only have to worry about it being too long? Or could it possibly be too short too?

3. What's the best way to know if it's too long or short?

Thanks everyone

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Just guessing but after a 3.5" lift I'd say you're likely within their spec now without actually shortening the driveshaft (the lift probably took care of it). Best to try to find out what their new overall length should be, etc.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Install the driveshaft, measure the spline engagement. If it has 75%ish of the splines inside the slip yoke , run it. Only way to know is to install. I'm running the same shaft on my 60 that I used on my 30.

I just saw that you have the stock shaft. Can't really comment on that. I would highly advise against using the stock shaft.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw that you have the stock shaft. Can't really comment on that. I would highly advise against using the stock shaft.
Even with the new teraflex high-angle rzeppa joint kit? Or for a different reason?

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Even with the new teraflex high-angle rzeppa joint kit? Or for a different reason?
I forget who is doing this...I think it may have been either RK or MC (just saw it the other day...dang memory lol). Anyway they've been running stock front shaft on 3.5" for 4 years with zero issues. It was posted by them somewhere here in WF.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted that the other day since that's what Will or Eric from MC told me on the phone when I bought their stuff. Hence I thought I would be ok with stock driveshafts.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
The stock shafts are garbage. Thin, fragile, half of the time it's not even the joint that breaks.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking maybe the up travel on their shocks helps avoid excessive down travel and thus the drive shaft angle is not as bad as often?

Also wondering if other driveshaft failures are maybe exacerbated by failures of the slip boot, allowing crap to get in there and grease to get out?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I was kinda suprised when I saw the post about them saying they've had no issues, especially for 4 years and the way they wheel.
Who is "they"?

My rear shaft snapped the shaft itself. Buddy went through 3 fronts, they all twisted like rubber.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who is "they"?

My rear shaft snapped the shaft itself. Buddy went through 3 fronts, they all twisted like rubber.
"They" is one of Metalcloak's own jeeps.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Who is "they"?

I know OP thinks I'm talking about his thread, but I saw one of the lift manufacturers themselves post up that they've been running stock front shaft for 4 years with no issues...I'm wanting to say it was RK, but don't hold me to it. I'll find the post and share it when I get a minute tonight. That's "they".

And...like I said, that surprised me...a lot.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I know OP thinks I'm talking about his thread, but I saw one of the lift manufacturers themselves post up that they've been running stock front shaft for 4 years with no issues...I'm wanting to say it was RK, but don't hold me to it. I'll find the post and share it when I get a minute tonight. That's "they".

"They" is one of Metalcloak's own jeeps.
Maybe, I feel like they probably arent pushing their demo jeeps to the limit to keep them looking nice, or driving them 100 miles every day.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe, I feel like they probably arent pushing their demo jeeps to the limit to keep them looking nice, or driving them 100 miles every day.
My thoughts too actually. That being said, someone offered me a spare stock driveshaft for $40. Hard to turn down. But now you have me scared the stock ones will tear apart and kill my transfer case...

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
My thoughts too actually. That being said, someone offered me a spare stock driveshaft for $40. Hard to turn down. But now you have me scared the stock ones will tear apart and kill my transfer case...
Ah I dont believe your transfercase would be in any danger. Go for it, but keep that spare handy!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

If I recall it was MC on a 3.5". Probably the case that true info was lost on the game of telephone that anyone my age (late 30's) should remember. I could be wrong too but I found that extremely surprising to hear and still don't believe it if the thing gets wheeled. I know MC wheels their stuff and tests it. I have gotten some hints of bad info from them before too though the products are excellent.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got off the phone with Tom Wood's shop. Pretty much guaranteed the stock shafts won't work with the g2 axles...

So much for a "bolt in" replacement...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I will just install it minus the shaft and take the measurements to make sure. If it's close I can always tweak the control arm lengths since I have all 8. If not... :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts