Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine is 3200#. 95 4.0 5sp bikini and 30X9.5 tires on factory aluminum wheels.
all stock except tires. certified scale and I'm thinking 1/2 tank gas

·
Registered
185 Posts
The weights on my program are for "Factory Wet" meaning all fluids are full and there is 3 gallons of gas. No options are included in the weights.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Before you weigh it, fill the gas tank and load it the way you would for a trip...recovery gear, spare tire, tools, etc. That will give you the real weight that you will be towing. Emptying the Jeep and putting those items in the FJ doesn't really help you.

Flat towing will put less strain on your FJ, but adding a brake buddy type system would be something to strongly consider, if you like stopping.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My 95 RIO 4cyl manual with AC is 2960 no top, and I think I had half doors on when I went to the landfill to drop off some tires. Of course they weigh before and after drop and I deducted my 200 lbs.
Take something to the landfill if you wanna know.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,904 Posts
I had my teardrop trailer weighed at a CAT scale. It was $9.50 in 2011.
I'd take the fully loaded Jeep to a CAT scale or some other commercial scale, pay the fee and put a certified weight certificate in my Jeep file.
If some accident happens and the other party's lawyer claims you were overloaded, you'll have a solid defense.

Not to mention, you'll have accurate knowledge of what YOUR Jeep weighs.

There's some sort of gizmo that attaches to the tow vehicle that will activate a module that you can buy for the Jeep that will apply the Jeep brakes.

I started pulling my Teardrop with a Cherokee and found the Cherokee brakes to be marginal. I built the teardrop with an electric brake axle and once I installed a brake controller in the Cherokee, all was well.
If I were to pull my teardrop with my YJ for any distance or on the interstate or in the mountains, I'd have to install a brake controller in the YJ too.

I'm a strong advocate of having functioning brakes on a trailer or towed vehicle.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You guys are arguing with 2011....
Time to let it go....

·
Super Moderator
11,904 Posts
You guys are arguing with 2011....
Time to let it go....
This thread was started in July, 2006.
The subject is still relevant. Folks still tow these old heaps with motorhomes or with pickups, flat towing or with a trailer. The combined weight matters.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Sonny S

·
Registered
901 Posts
If it was me and I hadn’t taken it to scale I would error on the side of caution and over estimate the weight. So with that said how mine is setup, bumpers, wheels, oversized tires, winch, recovery gear and some other little incidentals I’m sure I’m close to or over 4K lbs.

When I do tow my Jeep I flat tow it behind a full size truck with a tow rating of over 10k lbs so I’m good. But with no surge/electric brakes you definitely need to use caution in your driving habits by allowing for longer stopping distances and heaven forbid a panic stop.

Reactions: Sonny S
21 - 31 of 31 Posts