Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

In talks with a potential seller of Rubicon with a blown engine - long story short his 5 year old thought he was helping by topping up the fuel cans with water.

Vehicle is fairly standard rubi spec, 2 doors, 14k miles.

What would you pay?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Curious... filling the fuel tank with water should not have blown the engine. Seems like a relatively easy repair. Why is the seller giving up on the Jeep? I'd be more concerned something else is afoot.

John

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Plus , his insurance should have paid to have it fixed. Might want to ask him a few more questions.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You can get a 3.6 on e-bay for less than 3,500. Whether or not there are other issues with the one you're looking at, who knows. It could be easy or a can of worms if there are other drivetrain problems. You have to make the call. I would pass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Legitimacy isn't an issue at this point (friend of a friend). The engine is definitely broken. I believe they are exploring insurance options but I'm guessing insurance aren't wanting to play ball right now.

I'll be sure to do all my homework before handing over any money, I just was want to gauge a potential offer price before I waste my time doing all the other stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm only entertaining the idea right now as I have a buddy who does diesel conversions and so this might be a nice base to stick a diesel powerplant in if the price is right.

·
Registered
155 Posts
WTF - one year old with 14k miles? It seems it would either be warranty or insurance. One of the two ought to be fixing the car. Considering what happened, it should be insurance. If not the auto insurance, it should be covered under homeowners (well, now that I type that, I suppose that could be the problem... no homeowners insurance?)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm only entertaining the idea right now as I have a buddy who does diesel conversions and so this might be a nice base to stick a diesel powerplant in if the price is right.
I like your idea. I have no comment on the pricing though.

·
Administrator
12,445 Posts
Call dealer ask how much it would be for a complete engine replacement on a 2014 then add another 2k to that and there ya go with a ball park price.. assuming of course its only the engine.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Call dealer ask how much it would be for a complete engine replacement on a 2014 then add another 2k to that and there ya go with a ball park price.. assuming of course its only the engine.
I had a buddy hydrolock and insurance replaced the motor. A new 3.6 in a 2014 costs $10k. Well, that was the bill that insurance paid for the whole job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a buddy hydrolock and insurance replaced the motor. A new 3.6 in a 2014 costs $10k. Well, that was the bill that insurance paid for the whole job.
Thanks, that is useful to know. That was the kind of figure I had in mind for some reason. I'm going to use that as a gauge and work back from there.

·
Registered
669 Posts
if it is only water in the fuel system then not to bad to fix.

but you will be in for a motor, drop fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, possibly injectors.. blow out the fuel lines,,

I have never seen water in the fuel take out an engine though.. Pump, filter, injectors.. yes but never a motor.

do a Kelly blue book KBB.com and run its value for a trade in and then cut that in half, that would be a good number to use..

be sure to check the title to make sure it is not a salvage title.
if they have comprehensive insurance (and this is required if he took out a loan on the rig) then this is something that would be covered by most policies... but you never know..

could be a good deal though.. good luck.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sounds like someone was fording deep water and hydro locked the motor. Get a deep, deep discount or move on. I agree with the poster who said motor swap cost (all inclusive) + $2K. At least + $2K. This could be a money pit and are there other systems that could be affected in the future.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The amount of water a 5 year old could easily carry and pour into a can is not enough to hydrolock a motor, it would just run rough for that tank. If it's water, he more than likely drove it through water too deep, at which point I'd be worried about all of the electronics in the vehicle. I'd run far far away

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you don't buy let me know I want.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts