Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my father in law has got a '99 TJ with about 190,000 miles and the engine is shot. He really doesn't want to deal with the $$$ and hassle of fixing it.

So I'm trying to figure out what it might be worth as he gets ready to sell it. He's the original owner and has only used it as a daily driver, it's never been off-road. It's a 4.0 Sahara. It's has nearly brand new tires, new radiator and hoses and water pump. The frame has some corrosion. It has hard doors but only a soft top.

Can anyone give me a ball park of what I should advise him to ask for it? It's in the Cincinnati, oh area.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I paid 2k for a broken 2000, have you thought about getting a recycled engine. that's what I did with my purchase. recycled 4.0's can be found pretty easily. just a thought.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Frame problems and a dead engine.... it's a parts jeep... $1500

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
frame rust in Kentucky isn't the norm. Many buyers will run. If you live in the salt belt, it may be worth more with rust because thats normal. In New England you may get 2k but it is still a parts/project jeep. If you get the engine rebuilt/ replaced you can either keep it or at least have an easier time selling it. You would make your money back but not much more

·
Registered
75 Posts
What are your thoughts?
You sound like you might want to resurrect [sp]?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are your thoughts?
You sound like you might want to resurrect [sp]?
I think I'm at the point to scrap it. While it might be possible to get it running again, I don't think I've got time nor patience. It hasn't run right in over a year and I was actually just wanting to figure the best way to sell it.

I've still got an '01 TJ so I won't be out of a jeep.

Anyone interested in buying this TJ, by the way?! Title is clean!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I paid $2000 for this 2000 auto Sport with 212000 miles and a pro repaired frame

wouldn't pay more for something that had a dead motor, even if the rest of the Jeep was rust free

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
99 sahara hmm, bad motor bad frame...... worth more it parts up here, parts rig go from 200-1500 round here...... depending whats bad or gone already, some them sahara's had the D44 in back end . if so and he parts it out PM me, i might be interested

1 - 13 of 13 Posts