Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently put polyfil in my sound bar and was thinking how much is too much? i basically filled the empty areas and nothing more. should i add more? should i remove some? opinions?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I did the same with mine and just suffed every nook and cranny until it was filled to the gills. Sound was greatly upgraded. I am not savvy on this topic but I didn't see any negatives or issues coming form that.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Mmmmm...... Polyfil should be in the open cavity(s) in the consistency of Cotton Candy. Whispy and light. NOT Packed.
Take a clump from the bag and pull it apart in different directions then place in the cavity. The next clump doesn't pack against the mass in the cavity.
Then leave a space for the driver basket.
The Goal is to slow the backwave launch Not limited or diminish the volumetric dimension of the cavity.
Cabinet resonance dampening can be accomplished by Dynamat (brandname) or Peal&Seal from Lowes or HD

·
Registered
688 Posts
Save yourself the trouble, I polyfilled and fat matted one side of my speaker bar and left the other side alone. I switched back and forth with the balance control and couldn't tell any difference. Big waste of time. From the responses on this forum you'd think it performed a miracle.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I see almost ALL audio tweaks as incrementàl often times requiring many layering steps in order to achieve slight improvements. If audiophiles will spend $10,000 on slight improvements I'd say $7.99 and 30 minutes is worth it in concert with a few other Mods.
For '12-'14's the PRS Mod for about $150 is an example.
Polyfil is one of about six layers to the Mod.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mmmmm...... Polyfil should be in the open cavity(s) in the consistency of Cotton Candy. Whispy and light. NOT Packed.
Take a clump from the bag and pull it apart in different directions then place in the cavity. The next clump doesn't pack against the mass in the cavity.
Then leave a space for the driver basket.
The Goal is to slow the backwave launch Not limited or diminish the volumetric dimension of the cavity.
Cabinet resonance dampening can be accomplished by Dynamat (brandname) or Peal&Seal from Lowes or HD
okay thanks, i guess ill go back in this weekend and remove some then thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
I used a regular size pillow from Walmart for my whole system. I think I had a tiny bit left over. Huge huge difference, specially for the subwoofer.

I'll add the fact that I switched out my speakers. I have Mb quarts up front and kenwoods in the back and the factory sub. With out the polyfil the system was stupid loud, to the point where you couldn't make out what was playing at like 27 on the volume. Now I can max out the system without making your ears bleed and it sounds pretty damn good and the bass actually hits.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I used just enough poly-fill in my sound-bar to make sure there was some covering all of the visible space behind the speaker where you'd see the plastic otherwise. It didn't make a HUGE difference in the sound, but helps end the "cheap speaker" tone you sometimes hear (depends on the music volume and what's being listened to) that gives an audible cue that you're hearing speakers firing inside a cheap plastic cabinet.

If you don't know what I'm talking about? It's the same sound you get out of inexpensive plastic multimedia computer speakers. The enclosure itself helps define part of the sound.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What're we talking here guys... 10 lbs, 5 lbs, 16 oz, 12 oz?

Exact description helps :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I filled (not stuffed) my bar today with Polyfil. I don't think this is about sound quality but my rattle (esp with lots of bass) is gone. So, while I don't know if the sound is better, the speaker isn't ratting so I would say it is improved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts