Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the brand even matter? I've heard the there only really 3 different makers of pads. They just have different boxes and prices.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Does the brand even matter? I've heard the there only really 3 different makers of pads. They just have different boxes and prices.
Just out of curiosity, What do you need ceramic brake pads for? I'm not trying to be an arse, just wondering

·
Registered
50 Posts
I paid around $17.00 for auto zone ceramic pads.(my former boss gets me stuff at cost). They suck. Next time Black Magic or better yet Vanco kit with Black magic. I run 33x12.50 tires.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,138 Posts
I have run ceramic pads and while they are better than most pads, they are nothing extraordinary. The only pads I consider extraordinary are Black Magic's pads that I have had on two different TJs. At this point, most would agree it's the best performing pad available for our Wranglers.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
I have run ceramic pads and while they are better than most pads, they are nothing extraordinary. The only pads I consider extraordinary are Black Magic's pads that I have had on two different TJs. At this point, most would agree it's the best performing pad available for our Wranglers.
I replaced the factory rear pads on mine with generic ceramics 60 thousand miles ago, and they are just now half worn.. I replaced the factory fronts with generic ceramics 40 thousand miles ago, and they are about 1/3 worn.. Needless to say, virtually no city driving, but am dragging a trailer 4 to 5 thousand miles a year,, These pads should last another 15- 20 thousand with ease.. I've read about the BM brakes but am hard pressed to spend that kind of coin on brake pads. Am I missing something? Thanks,, ;)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,138 Posts
A long-wearing pad means a hard pad which means it doesn't grip/brake as well. Like trying to stop on ice vs. asphalt. Inexpensive long wearing (often lifetime) pads have lifetime warranties because they are so hard they barely wear... which means they don't brake as well as softer pads do. Long wear normally equates to reduced braking performance. I'd rather have a slightly softer and slightly faster wearing pad that brakes superbly than one that lasts an extra long time that won't brake as well... which long lasting pads are known for.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
My black magics show negligible wear after 30000 miles of dd'ing and wheeling. For as well as they stop the wear rate is great in my book.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
A long-wearing pad means a hard pad which means it doesn't grip/brake as well. Like trying to stop on ice vs. asphalt. Inexpensive long wearing (often lifetime) pads have lifetime warranties because they are so hard they barely wear... which means they don't brake as well as softer pads do. Long wear normally equates to reduced braking performance. I'd rather have a slightly softer and slightly faster wearing pad that brakes superbly than one that lasts an extra long time that won't brake as well... which long lasting pads are known for.
I understand the logic, but not brake as well? I have found the opposite to be true, albeit, on a much larger scale.. We now have the strongest, longest lasting, and best gripping clutches and disc brake pads, on our 80,000 GVW big blue trucks, and everything is ceramic.. The composites slip, slide, overheat, and disintegrate at around 100,000 miles. With ceramics, my company issued power unit has 325,000 miles on the original brakes and clutch. I'd been in units for years without ceramics and there is a huge difference, most noticed when loaded.... Your point is taken, and no offense, but does the normal guy in a normal car/jeep notice over $200 of difference in the cost of eight pads. It's all about heat dissipation, hot brakes don't stop well. Ceramics can dissipate heat, and stop that big rig on a quarter, do the BM brake pads do an even better job with the heat? And if so, does normal wheelin create enough heat to be concerned with?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,138 Posts
I'm not getting into a long philosophical discussion about ceramic vs. other pad materials, I'll leave that up to Blaine at Black Magic Brakes. I'll just say again that the harder the pad and the longer it lasts, the less well it will brake... and that if you switched from your ceramics to Black Magic pads as I personally did, you'd see what we're talking about. The performance difference is nothing less than dramatic. Literally dramatic.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Ok. If its half as dramatic as composites to ceramics on a big truck, they just might be worth the coin next time I need new pads.. I'll continue my research, and keep your WOM in mind while I consider my options..

·
Registered
723 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure of the brand but looking at getting ceramic from local shop for $34. Does that sound right? $17 for the cheap ones.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Friction compounds are so varied and so different in performance that to judge one by what the manufacturer decides to call it based on some percentage of material included in the mix is fairly shortsighted.

There has been a reference to box store ceramics in this thread and if they were the Morse brand, I find it difficult to believe no one has kilt themselves with them yet.

They are the only pad we have ever tested that we refused to run for the long term portion of the test and removed them immediately due to how low their performance was. They were bad enough in the big brake kits to be downright dangerous.

While PF was a great pad at one time, it has two drawbacks nowadays. First is they haven't advanced their formulations to keep up with the competition and second is they don't like cold weather and need to be hot to work decently. They are definitely not a bad pad and if you can make them work for you, all the better.

There was also some mention of heat. The Black Magic stuff does not go into hot fade until 1500 degrees F because it is a race track pad. To give you an idea of the temp, steel is full cherry red at 1500 F.

I doubt there are many if any "ceramic" pads that will survive that temperature rating.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Dude if all you are looking for is price then ask the parts man to give you the cheapest ceramics he has. Take them and go. When you realize that they are not very good, read this thread again as the answer has been given several time. Good parts are not cheap and cheap parts are rarely good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts