Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New TJ to me with 100k. Runs and sounds fine but I want a mechanic to go through and change diffs/tranny/transfer and motor oil.

I am capable of doing it myself but with 2 recent back surgeries doing that kind of crawling around hurts for three days. I can do the cooling and spark plugs myself without a hitch...

How much ya think?

Thanks in advanced for the help

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just purchased my 03 TJ last month and the engine light came on. Took it to the Jeep dealership and they quoted me the following:
1. Front Diff $220
2. Rear Diff. $220
3. Tranny $220
4. Transfer $95
I said thanks for the list and completed them my self for about $200, including front brake pads.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Where are you located? I doubt your in Hawaii but maybe someone here would assist you.

·
Registered
647 Posts
that's dealership, so its gonna be way overpriced.
i had my diffs serviced, and the oil done, it was 217. 50 bucks of which was labor.
tranny and transfer are literally draining and refiling so i don't see it costing more than 250.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
New TJ to me with 100k. Runs and sounds fine but I want a mechanic to go through and change diffs/tranny/transfer and motor oil.

I am capable of doing it myself but with 2 recent back surgeries doing that kind of crawling around hurts for three days. I can do the cooling and spark plugs myself without a hitch...

How much ya think?

Thanks in advanced for the help
I have the same problem. 2 Discomtomies in 3 years, spinal Stenosis and now spine fusing (on it's own fortunately). I too hurt for days after doing work on the Jeep. What I did was pick one of the above, do it and then do the next the week after that etc etc. It will be done before you know. I just tell myself that yep, I am going to be sore for awhile.

I saved my money for the things that I new could make my back worse or damage it further like:
Installing the spring Lift
Installing new Tranny and clutch
regearing front and rear axle (should have an expert do that anyway)
New exhaust manifold

My suggestion is just take your time! If you do let us know the area where you are located someone on here can point you to a good honest and well priced mechanic. Take Care :thumb:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back. I have a cousin who has spinal stenosis, and he can barely walk with a cane. Reminds of the mechanic on Gold Rush who has severe back problems; they flew him back to some hospital back east, but the procedure didn't have long lasting results.

How is the differential cover working out that you installed? You mentioned that it doesn't make any contact with your track bar. Do you have the stock track bar? Did you install the same type of diff cover in the rear? If so, is it making contact with the gas tank? I have the stock track bar and will be installing a BB next week. I'm also going to change the diff oil, and I'd like to install some new differential covers while I'm at it. Doesn't your differential cover had a drain plug? That would make the job a snap in the future. Did you use Lube Locker gaskets for the diff? Thank you!

I have the same problem. 2 Discomtomies in 3 years, spinal Stenosis and now spine fusing (on it's own fortunately). I too hurt for days after doing work on the Jeep. What I did was pick one of the above, do it and then do the next the week after that etc etc. It will be done before you know. I just tell myself that yep, I am going to be sore for awhile.

I saved my money for the things that I new could make my back worse or damage it further like:
Installing the spring Lift
Installing new Tranny and clutch
regearing front and rear axle (should have an expert do that anyway)
New exhaust manifold

My suggestion is just take your time! If you do let us know the area where you are located someone on here can point you to a good honest and well priced mechanic. Take Care :thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the replies, I dont know how to use the multi quote yet so here goes with the replies,,,

TJWenatchee
I feel your pain, 2 surgeries in 2 years for me, l5/s1 first and l4/l5 second. I try and do most of my stuff myself, was an jet mechanic in the navy for 10 years. Last thing I did was install a new bumper and the spare tire and I paid for it for a week, lol.

tangofox007
By go through, I mean drain and pull the covers/pan and actually take a look for chunks of teeth and metal shavings, any leaks I may have missed, seals etc. I am not expecting them to tear everything apart, just looking for obvious stuff.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
How is the differential cover working out that you installed? You mentioned that it doesn't make any contact with your track bar. Do you have the stock track bar? Did you install the same type of diff cover in the rear? If so, is it making contact with the gas tank? I have the stock track bar and will be installing a BB next week. I'm also going to change the diff oil, and I'd like to install some new differential covers while I'm at it. Doesn't your differential cover had a drain plug? That would make the job a snap in the future. Did you use Lube Locker gaskets for the diff? Thank you!
No problems with the Diff covers. I am running a JKS Adjustable trackbar in the front. I did use 2 hockey pucks per side in the front to give me 2" extra inches of bumpstop. Thhings are close when disco'd but they clear and no rubbing. Same style Diff cover in the rear and no problems with the tank. Both covers have a drain plus 2 small holes to guage how full the differential is depending on angle of the axle. Plus obiviousely a fill hole. Nor rubber plugs, all metal. Let me know and I can post some picks. Mine say Nitro Gears on them but I have noticed many covers just like them with different names as well. I think they are well designed. They are made from and the same thickness as the aluminum on motorcycle engine block. Oh yeah, and I did use Lubelockers front and rear. :wavey:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply on the diff covers! Do those two small holes have plugs so they won't leak? If you have any close-up pictures of the covers, that would be great! The hockey puck is a great idea. Did you glue the pucks in place? Thanks again and have a Happy New Year!

No problems with the Diff covers. I am running a JKS Adjustable trackbar in the front. I did use 2 hockey pucks per side in the front to give me 2" extra inches of bumpstop. Thhings are close when disco'd but they clear and no rubbing. Same style Diff cover in the rear and no problems with the tank. Both covers have a drain plus 2 small holes to guage how full the differential is depending on angle of the axle. Plus obiviousely a fill hole. Nor rubber plugs, all metal. Let me know and I can post some picks. Mine say Nitro Gears on them but I have noticed many covers just like them with different names as well. I think they are well designed. They are made from and the same thickness as the aluminum on motorcycle engine block. Oh yeah, and I did use Lubelockers front and rear. :wavey:

·
Registered
717 Posts
rent a lift

Do you have any places that will let you rent a lift for a few hours? Some places have where you can do that.

2nd, what about the local high school shop class. Get with the instructor and agree to buy the material and donate something to the school, like an air tool, etc. Training for the students and good for you.

·
Registered
366 Posts
ballistx said:
Do you have any places that will let you rent a lift for a few hours? Some places have where you can do that.

2nd, what about the local high school shop class. Get with the instructor and agree to buy the material and donate something to the school, like an air tool, etc. Training for the students and good for you.
I think Pep Boys let u use their lifts
Hope this helps
O ||||||| O

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just did all my gearboxes with synthetics. Bought Redline MTL for 6sdp tranny, Roral Purple for the diffs online (~$130); Castrol syn for transfer and had a former Jeep Dealership (lost franchise thanks to Chrysler) do drain/fill. They charged another $170 labor with tax. Total <$325.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply on the diff covers! Do those two small holes have plugs so they won't leak? If you have any close-up pictures of the covers, that would be great! The hockey puck is a great idea. Did you glue the pucks in place? Thanks again and have a Happy New Year!

This is a Manufacturers picture. This one had only one small hole (D35) to check fluid level. My front (D30) has 2 and they screw in just like the fill hole and the drain hole using an Allen Wrench

For the front pucks I just drilled the center of the pucks and then drilled up through the lower spring perch. There is a small indentation to mark center. Only problem was I had to buy an extra long drill bit to fit the pass side because everything mounts real close (trackbar-tie rod-steering stabilizer etc). I know a few who have epoxied them in and they have had them that way for a few years.

Attachments

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
This is a Manufacturers picture. This one had only one small hole (D35) to check fluid level. My front (D30) has 2 and they screw in just like the fill hole and the drain hole using an Allen Wrench

For the front pucks I just drilled the center of the pucks and then drilled up through the lower spring perch. There is a small indentation to mark center. Only problem was I had to buy an extra long drill bit to fit the pass side because everything mounts real close (trackbar-tie rod-steering stabilizer etc). I know a few who have epoxied them in and they have had them that way for a few years.

P.S. Happy New Year to you as well!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks for the pic of the diff cover and the information on the hockey puck bump stops. I think that's the same diff cover made by that outfit in California. Have a good one!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts