Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure if that’s the correct question but that’s the best I could think off. Essentially, when on a trail and either one side or both are going to be on a sloped surface for a bit, like the attached picture (origin unknown), how much is too much? The picture doesn’t look to bad to me, but I’ve seen videos where where only the bottom, outside edge is on the surface and the strain on the lugs/hubs/etc. has to be close to the breaking point.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I don't think there is a proper answer. If you have quality parts you can shift a lot before anything breaks. on the rear the rear pumpkin/pinion can be limited by the gas tank but I have seen some pretty amazing flex without issues. up front if you have swaybar links they can bend or break but if you are flexing and serious about offroading you will be disconnected.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what I’m asking is separate from flex. When on a flat road, the tires are on the road evenly and the weight transfer on the lug nuts, hubs, axles is straight up and down. When you start shifting the weight to the outside edges of the tread, like in the picture, the weight will want to push the tires under the Jeep, not up, straining those components. How much of that is Ok?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I don't think there is a shearing/breaking limit of the lugs rims or axle that will break an axle simply when rolling foreward or rolling over for that matter (up hill or down for that matter).
Bouncing from a recovery or fall is anyones guess and my depend or shared axle loads during the event. Most likely, different too for different axle assemblies (Models).
I have had to belly slide off ledges and always there has been a shelf close enough to place my front wheels on during the transition without bouncing....

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think there is a shearing/breaking limit of the lugs rims or axle that will break an axle simply when rolling foreward or rolling over for that matter (up hill or down for that matter).
bouncing a recovery from a fall is anyones guess and my depend or shared axle loads during the event. amorst like different too for different axle assemblies (Models).
I have had to belly slide off ledges and always there has been a shelf close enough to place my front wheels ofr a transition without bouncing....
Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts