Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of selling my Jeep - want to get info on how to price the Wrangler

2002 JEEP 2W WGL SPT/TJ
104000 miles
Soft Top
No back seat
Custom Audio system with subwoofer (sub takes up back seat area)
Oversized tires
Color: yellow
Auto Transmission
6 owners before me
I'm located in Michigan

What should it be selling for if I want to sell to private party?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Probably at that age it's not going to make too much difference on price. I would say why was a salvage title issued, it's probably one of three reasons, flooded, wrecked, or stolen and the parts out weighed the value to replace them. Was it issued a salvage early in its life, or in more recent years, reason is, the older the vehicle the value goes down. My biggest concern is if the frame and suspension was damaged in a wreck did the rebuilder repair it all correctly and if was flooded and not totally redone you can have electrical problems form now on. Furnishing the new buyer with the correct information will probably get you the most money. I would probably not buy a salvage title vehicle unless I new the vehicle and could see pics of the damage etc. before repairs. I can tell you if you trade in a salvage title no one will give you much for it, best a private sale and you don't disclose all you know, you could loose in court and be giving the money back to the buyer.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
To limit my own liability, I would sell "salvage title, sold as-is, for parts or repair". Making that clear to the buyer and state that on the bill of sale. That is only what I would see myself doing, if I was in this situation. Whatever you do... FULL disclosure of everything known is the key. The good, the bad and the ugly.

In Massachusetts there is only one state RMV inspection station that anyone trying to register with a salvage title must report to. Inspections on salve vehicles is really strict and appointments are hard to get. Maybe easier in other states, but in my neck of the woods, a salvage title vehicle is tougher to get rid of and can be difficult to register/pass RMV inspections. Anyone interested would not pay much here, because there is some risk of not being able to get it on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much rust does the frame/body have?
there is some rust on the underbody. Please check pictures for rust locations.

tires look like 31's, maybe 32's on steel rims.
31s

what kind of custom audio system?
Head Unit: Kenwood KDC-BT318U
Estimated $105

Nakamichi Sound Amplifiers PM-360.4
4-channel 4Ohm 360W
Max power 220W
Estimated: $75

Sub: Dual TS-W304R
Pioneer 1300W Max. 300 W Nom.
12" Component Subwoofer with 1,300 Watts Max. Power
4 Ohm SVC
Estimated: $150

2 Speakers Blaupunkt GT Series ~6"
Estimated: $50

6 cyl or 4 cyl?
I believe it is 6 cyl.

d35 or d44 rear diff?
I believe that's D35

why was a salvage title issued
It was wrecked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5k or best offer.
Thanks,

Can I ask how you came to that price?

I've decided to run estimates using common car appraisal sites, and came up with the table below. The column titled "Salvage" would be the final estimate price. Assuming the condition of my vehicle is "fair", the estimate is just over $5K, so it matches. I am curious, however, if the current car chip shortage will add overhead and raise the price in my case.
lowhighmidsalvage (80%)conditionSource
$ 5,745$ 7,954$ 6,850$ 5,480fairkbb
$ 6,854$ 9,539$ 8,197$ 6,558goodkbb
$ 6,006$ 4,805averageedmunds
$ 7,797$ 6,238cleanedmunds
$ 7,500$ 6,000?FB (similar listings to mine)

·
Super Moderator
6,999 Posts
a vehicle is worth whatever someone will pay for it. personally, i wouldnt pay more than $5k for a basically stock jeep with a salvage title. I will say that is less rust than i expected but the salvage bit drops the price pretty significantly.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks,

Can I ask how you came to that price?
QUOTE]

Thats just my first guess. As I posted, "IMO".

I often search listings in my area just for see what out there, so Im familiar with what people ask for their Jeeps. Prices may vary in your location, though doubtful. But just as @Ironhead Jed says, "a vehicle is worth whatever someone will pay for it." I dont go by KBB. In fact, any seller thats ever brought up Kelly Blue Book when Im looking at their vehicle, I bail on because they're usually very non-negotiable.

·
Registered
‘98 TJ
134 Posts
Also, the stereo system will vary by person, some will find value, others will prefer the backseat instead of a stereo. So you’re targeting an even smaller audience.

Good news though, is in that price range and it being salvaged, the buyer is more than likely gonna be a younger buyer who will prefer the stereo more than likely.

·
Administrator
17,372 Posts
In my state (OK), and many others, insurance companies won't cover a salvage title vehicle. So it would have to be off road only or switched to a rebuilt title.

That aside, it looks like you're trying your hardest to make a case for more value, but the reality is you take the low column ($5745) and deduct 40%-70%, then you'll be in the neighborhood
Many people (including me) won't touch 'em, neither will most car lots. There are some lots that do salvage title stuff though.

These are unparalleled times in the used car market, but if your expectation is close to non-salvage prices, you might be waiting a long time to find the right buyer.

FWIW:
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN REBUILT TITLE & SALVAGE TITLE
One definition of a salvage title for a car is one that’s been an accident and is now considered worthless by an insurance company. Meaning you shouldn’t bother repairing it, the vehicle is now a total loss. This definition isn’t universal, by any means. Different states have different laws as to what makes up a salvage title. All of the information as to what your specific state uses to comprise a salvage title should be available on your local DMV’s website.

When a rebuilt title is determined for a car, that means it used to have a salvage title, but has been restored to a safe and street-legal condition. This doesn’t mean that every part of the car has been replaced, but that it’s been inspected by a professional from the state, and deemed legally functional for driving.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am thinking of selling my Jeep - want to get info on how to price the Wrangler

2002 JEEP 2W WGL SPT/TJ
104000 miles
Soft Top
No back seat
Custom Audio system with subwoofer (sub takes up back seat area)
Oversized tires
Color: yellow
Auto Transmission
6 owners before me
I'm located in Michigan

View attachment 4518544

What should it be selling for if I want to sell to private party?
Try looking for comparisons at East Coast Auto Source East Coast Auto Source They sell flood sand wreaked everything

·
Registered
117 Posts
As a fellow Michigander, that really isn't as much rust as I was expecting. Do you know much about the accident and how it was repaired? Most buyers' concern would be if the frame was damaged and steering and suspension components are in spec. I assume it tracks straight and there's no uneven wear on the tires?

If so, I think starting at $5k is reasonable. The market is crazy now for just about anything that isn't completely falling apart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you know much about the accident and how it was repaired?
If so, I think starting at $5k is reasonable.
I don't know much about the accident but from vehicle history it was "front-end damage". I also note selling price in 2015 was $9,995:
02-16-201569198 milesSalesPrice: $9,995
06-29-201789027 milesSavannah GAHistorical Odometer Records
06-29-2017Incident RecordFront End

The frame appears to be okay. The Jeep has been to a mechanic a few times for various minor issues and nothing was said about the framing. Steering is okay, suspension I don't know but I assume it is also okay. For tire wear it appears to have been normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know much about the accident but from vehicle history it was "front-end damage". I also note selling price in 2015 was $9,995:
02-16-201569198 milesSalesPrice: $9,995
06-29-201789027 milesSavannah GAHistorical Odometer Records
06-29-2017Incident RecordFront End

The frame appears to be okay. The Jeep has been to a mechanic a few times for various minor issues and nothing was said about the framing. Steering is okay, suspension I don't know but I assume it is also okay. For tire wear it appears to have been normal.
MAYBE for you?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
so did you establish a price? where in michigan are you located?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts