Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, not very Jeep-wise yet. '15 JKUR. I read the stock tire weighs more than Jeep says the tailgate is rated? I've been running a 3-gal Rotopax on rough trails with no prob -- but now kinda want to run 2x3 gals for a *long* trip. So 48 lb of gas plus stock tire?

How heavy has anyone gone on the factory tailgate with success ? With failure? :doh:

I'll run this far maybe once a year or less -- got my Hi-lift on hood mounts -- so not dying to spring for a new hinge/mount system if I don't have to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had an '08 JKU Sahara with stock 18" and used a thule spare rack for 2 bikes that I used here and there. My bikes were light....a 17lb & 21lb. Over time the spot welds in the tailgate went. It rattled like crazy but was still sound. After some more time, the stock carrier started to crack above the lugs. A body shop near me repaired the welds and replaced the stock carrier with one I got on ebay. He said to me no more than 100lbs with everything from now on, or, invest in the teraflex setup cause that should double it safely. He wasn't concerned about the hinges but rather the stock cast carrier, spot welds, and also buckling the sheetmetal where the carrier mounts.

When I got my '15, I decided on a Tactik setup. I carry 3 bikes on the spare with an Allen Rack, I also run 285/70/17 KO2s on a QT Hardrock wheel. I calculate about 225lbs all in with the carrier included (it's heavy) and its been fantastic but I try to never open the gate with a load. I wouldn't go higher though unless you go with a bumper/frame carrier. At this point, as strong as the body mounts may be for the tailgate, it's a lot of stress.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an '08 JKU Sahara with stock 18" and used a thule spare rack for 2 bikes that I used here and there. My bikes were light....a 17lb & 21lb. Over time the spot welds in the tailgate went. It rattled like crazy but was still sound. After some more time, the stock carrier started to crack above the lugs. A body shop near me repaired the welds and replaced the stock carrier with one I got on ebay. He said to me no more than 100lbs with everything from now on, or, invest in the teraflex setup cause that should double it safely. He wasn't concerned about the hinges but rather the stock cast carrier, spot welds, and also buckling the sheetmetal where the carrier mounts.

When I got my '15, I decided on a Tactik setup. I carry 3 bikes on the spare with an Allen Rack, I also run 285/70/17 KO2s on a QT Hardrock wheel. I calculate about 225lbs all in with the carrier included (it's heavy) and its been fantastic but I try to never open the gate with a load. I wouldn't go higher though unless you go with a bumper/frame carrier. At this point, as strong as the body mounts may be for the tailgate, it's a lot of stress.

Hope this helps.
A 33 on the stock carrier will tweak the gate over time.
Thanks! Very helpful.

I figured out some better search strategies on here, and found other threads that discuss tailgate fatigue. So I'm looking at the Morryde or maybe Terraflex system. If you can't carry bikes, you sure can't carry gas cans.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My mounted 33 weighs close to 90 lbs, which is too much in my opinion, at least over time. I smoked my TJ's hinges doing the same years ago. Definitely recommend getting that weight off the stock hinges.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Still running stock rubicon tires on my '15. I am building a bumper/carrier to get the weight off the door, also adding two jerry cans and a 7lb CO2 tank. Spent a saturday following another jeep around off road, I never relized how much the door flexes even with just the stock tire on it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Guess I know what I'm doing for my Christmas gift to me... A little bumper and carrier shopping...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Stock tailgate max load..

The max load of the stock Jeep tailgate is 85lbs. My stock 18" wheels and BFG KO2'[email protected] 275/70/18, 33's, come in together @ 81lbs....I know this for a fact as I weighed them on a very accurate digital scale.
Another thing that is nice ,when I close the gate the tire skids along the bumper's tire cut away on my Smittybilt Gen II bumper,which takes some of the weight off the gate when closed (the tire is semi resting on the bumper)..you literally could not put a bigger tire on the stock mount,the gate would not close......got lucky there,and it worked out perfect!!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have been running with a 94 lb 35" spare and mounted fire extinguisher with no upgrades for 6 months now with out issue. I have read all the threads that highly recommend upgrading, but remain skeptical. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good ideas all down the line. Thanks.

I am not up to pulling the engine, or full shocks, springs, arms, but I've watched some videos and I can do something like the hinges or hinge/arm install.

The Morryde hinges get great reviews everywhere (and so does the Teraflex solution). Does anybody have experience to say you do or don't need the Morryde reinforcement bars?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I've had a KO2 33 for 6 months mounted back there first, then a KO2 35 for about 8 months now,both instances using the Smittybilt oversized tire carrier (the cheapo $120 one) as a replacement for the factory carrier. Zero vibrations, zero hinge issues, offroading every other weekend, I'm not putting bicycles in there though :), my KO2/wheel combo in 33 weighted 83lbs, the 35/wheel combo i have now weights 90lbs. This carrier was supposed to be a temp thing i did more than a year ago , it ended up working great in my case, and i'm not changing any of it for the time being, maybe later on if i have to.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Easy for me to say since my Jeep came with the OEM Teraflex hinge, but if you're running a larger tire and/or gas cans like OP, and going off road where you'll have frequent bumps amplifying the stress on the gate, I'd really rather upgrade the hinge than worry about whether I was going to break the gate. Not that the gate can't be repaired, but by time you deal with and pay for that hassle, you could've just installed a beefy hinge from the jump and been loading it up with a 35, 8 gallons of fuel, a Hi-lift, and whatever else you want without worry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
200lbs. Using a Havoc rear bumper and spare tire carrier (screwed down to tailgate )with 26x14 wheel wrapped by 40x16.5r26 tire. Some squeaking, but not that bad.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have been running with a 94 lb 35" spare and mounted fire extinguisher with no upgrades for 6 months now with out issue. I have read all the threads that highly recommend upgrading, but remain skeptical. Only time will tell.
Any updates on this subject?
Originally posted this in 2016. Still had mo issues in Sept of 18. However my cheap E-Autogrilles bumper rusted like crazy, so when replacing the bumper, I bought one with a spare carrier. Planning to go to 37s soon. In any case, almost 3 years with the 90lb 35 wheeling, rock crawling, speed bumps,etc. no issues. I did add a cut piece of radiator hose over the rubber stops to help stop the spare from movement.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts