Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

How often does this happen.....

977 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  penguin25
Recently, I replaced all upper and lower control arms. That got rid of the torque steer issue, for I found the LCA's in the rear had very worn bushings and the bolt could pivot around about 1/8th to 1/4 inches. Also used adjustable upper arms so the pivot angle in the rear and the caster in front could be set properly.
Last week while making a typical right hand turn on a paved road, I hear mechanical noise and the Jeep is suddenly handling very poorly. I babied it home, mild acceleration and stops so as little stress placed on the suspension as possible.
Discovered the bracket welded to the axle that retains the control arm and drag link is cracked completely off! Curious if this is in any way common?

Attachments

Reactions: Bad Bob
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a 2005 TJ currently located in Florida. Oddly, the title with the state says Wrangler Rubi, however this is not a Rubicon for the axle arrangement is D35/D30. Maybe a previous owner snatched the axles and put these lame units in there.

That surface rust is recent, this last year, from putting the jet ski in and out of salt water. I usually take it home and hose it off. The metal looks clean along the crack line. I'm suspecting metal fatigue because, perhaps, of the well worn bushings in the control arms. Probably somewhere along the life of the Jeep and or the axle saw some decent off road use. I do not know the extent of off road use from previous owners. This has a 4" lift of unknown origin with TeraFlex 9550 shocks. I also removed the drop pitman arm and drop track back arrangement, not that this affected the rear at all...

Now I'm thinking of accelerating the rear axle replacement, perhaps with a ECGS 8.8! Good time to check / change the gear ratio as well. Not sure what that is but have no problems going down the freeway at 65mph, 6 speed manual. Do not recall the tach rpm though and reluctant to go find out in this condition! Time to throw $$ at it.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do the adj CA's have a flex joint or are they rubber/poly bushings?
The replaced lower CA in the rear and front were poly bushings, now clevite rubber. the old upper CA were stock with clevite bushings (replaced two on front axle). I put in Rough Country upper adjustable CA on there, they do have the flex joint / Johnny joints.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"just a side note, johnny joints are flex joints but not all flex joints are johnny joints. RC does not use johnny joints....." Thanks, just learned something new... again.

I'm going to start another post re replacement axle with different questions.

Thank y'all for input.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it is supposed to be a Rubi, however it absolutely appears to have been altered. VIN does have the 6th digit as 6. Axles are D35/30 not D44 and it is now a manual not automatic. Doors are full size not half doors. It does have the sill guards you show, driver tilt seat and a few Rubi options that are there. This is a FrankenJeep!

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in Treasure Island, mid west coast FL. Not been up to Jax yet but do plan on going on a bit of vacation to Savannah sometime. I'll get in touch with ya when I do...

OK, some good news, I did not pay Rubicon $ for this Jeep because I did notice the wrong axles when on site once I saw the "deal" of an ad in real time. Thought the price was too good to be true and it was. Even beat up the price a bit more and did buy during the high point of pricing. Jeep was $12,500

I took a few pictures that might help identify it was once a real Rubi, see attachments. The panel does look to be mounted to the underside of the frame and the skid plate has some additional holes in it on both sides that may have been used for the air system at one time. Does this seem correct?

I guess since I am upgrading the axle, well eventually both axles, the D44 I put in there will get it close to original. Think I'll use air lockers as well.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts