Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1988 YJ, 258/4.2 with Howell EFI, BA10
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The rubber adapter that connects the 3/8 pipe from the fuel tank vent to the rollover value was completely perished on my 1988 YJ, and I can't think what to use to try to reconnect it.

Blue Aqua Automotive exhaust Wind instrument Pipe

The part is #21 on the diagram, 3/8 on one end and about 15/16 on the other. I don't have any fuel hose that big, and I don't think I could squeeze some 3/4 heater hose over it.

Slope Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern

Anyone else managed to cobble something together for this?

Alex

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
I don't even understand what this is, is it inside the gas tank? My 94 rollover valve is not made like that maybe you can upgrade it from the old style?

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,990 Posts
Mine do not have that either. I was unaware there was anything in the tank that connected.
On the lighter side, if I ever have a rollover, I'll probably ably be dead and won't be worried about it lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s outside the tank - the vent line comes out the opposite side to the fill hose, and heads up behind the passenger side rear brake light. The line is fixed, basically behind the rear wheel, then this valve is stuck on the end of it. The vapor line then comes out the side and then snakes back across the top of the fuel tank to join the supply and return lines back to the front of the vehicle.

If I couldn’t find anything I was just going to dispense with it and connect the vapor line directly to the tank.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,990 Posts
Not to minimize all your hard work, but stop right there a minute. From what you described, somebody plumbed the differential vent hose into the fuel tank. No bueno if that's the case.

Or the fuel tank rollover vent lines have been routed into the atmosphere rather than your evap canister. Also no Bueno because fuel vapors back there shouldn't be let loose near the exhaust.

Too dark to see right now I'm sure, but you need to recheck the routing in the am.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
It’s outside the tank - the vent line comes out the opposite side to the fill hose, and heads up behind the passenger side rear brake light. The line is fixed, basically behind the rear wheel, then this valve is stuck on the end of it. The vapor line then comes out the side and then snakes back across the top of the fuel tank to join the supply and return lines back to the front of the vehicle.

That's goofy nonsense. The 1994 roll over valve system is much simpler. It has 2 rollover valves int he top of the tank with a 3/16" rubber hose that Y's into the 3/16" steel line that goes to the vapor canister. It's a much simpler system.

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
I read a post a couple or few months ago that described what Alex has. The first poster asked what it was. The second poster suggested it was some aftermarket adaption. I passed on commenting because I couldn't imagine what it could be. Now I see. Perhaps it's a California CARB thing. If so, the other 49 states just have the tank vents shown in Alex's #6 post link (the $49.95 set) that each has a hose that runs to a plastic "T" fitting and then another hose that runs up to a metal line that runs to the charcoal canister, like agalloch07 describes.

Is there any mention in the parts diagram full sheet that Alex posted stating "California Emissions".

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Digging into 87-90 parts catalog I looked into this gobbldy **** and found OP's wacky configuration was installed on Venezuelan wide track models with a 14.5 gallon tank.info found just below the cutoff in the diagram and parts list to the right.

usuallyalex, All that extra crap is due to no charcoal canister and subsequent vent line to tank. They just routed it up next to the diff breather. Looks like you found the connector to hook all that back up.

Pg 481 in the 87-90 parts catalog, one pg below what you have posted, has a complete illustration of how it should be. click the link below to get into my dropbox files for the catalog

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the tub off while I cleaned up and painted the frame so the whole thing was exposed, it's definitely routed to the vapor canister as per the parts guide. The later models where the rollover valve is integrated into the tank is a better design for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts