Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after spending a whole lot of time researching I decided on a 2in susp lift.I figure if I want a little more I can do a 1in body lift.Anyway I think it will be a good idea to get a front adj track bar.How do I know how far to go with the adjustment? Is there a procedure somewhere or will that come with the track bar? Is there one on the rear I need?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
This adjustment is actually far easier than it would appear.

Remove your front track bar. Jump up and down on the bumper to 'jounce' the front end so the axle will self-center underneath the Jeep body. That will get the tub pretty darned centered without much difficulty and preciseness is not really needed here since it moves left/right as you drive anyway. It will be centered well enough.

Now mount the driver's side of the trackbar and tighten that bolt to 85 ft-lbs. or close to it... that's a two grunt tightness kind of bolt if you can't get a torque wrench on it. Then adjust the length of the track bar until the passenger side mount lines up with the mounting bracket. Insert the mounting bolt, tighten to 55 ft-lbs. and you're done. :)

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This adjustment is actually far easier than it would appear.

Remove your front track bar. Jump up and down on the bumper to 'jounce' the front end so the axle will self-center underneath the Jeep body. That will get the tub pretty darned centered without much difficulty and preciseness is not really needed here since it moves left/right as you drive anyway. It will be centered well enough.

Now mount the driver's side of the trackbar and tighten that bolt to 85 ft-lbs. or close to it... that's a two grunt tightness kind of bolt if you can't get a torque wrench on it. Then adjust the length of the track bar until the passenger side mount lines up with the mounting bracket. Insert the mounting bolt, tighten to 55 ft-lbs. and you're done. :)
Now it cant be that easy,could it?? Sweet.Might be a dumb question but is there a track bar in the rear.id just go out & look but my TJ is at the body shop getting the frame repaired.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to assume its adjusted the same way.Thanks for the info!

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
You may want to put the lift on and then see if you really want an adjustable track bar. The amount it will shift the axles on a 2" lift is very minimal. That is just my 2 cents as most people do not put an adjustable track bar on that small of a lift. The BL if you choose to go that way will not affect the axle shifting. FYI-The front axle will shift towards the drivers side and the rear axle will shift towards the passenger side when a suspension lift is installed.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may want to put the lift on and then see if you really want an adjustable track bar. The amount it will shift the axles on a 2" lift is very minimal. That is just my 2 cents as most people do not put an adjustable track bar on that small of a lift. The BL if you choose to go that way will not affect the axle shifting. FYI-The front axle will shift towards the drivers side and the rear axle will shift towards the passenger side when a suspension lift is installed.
Is there a good reference point I can measure from before I install the lift then after to see if it changed?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
It will change. As indicated above, 2" is going to move the axles 1" or less. Having the axles shifted is not going to affect tire wear or handling. (remember, the axles are going to shift any which way depending on load in the vehicle.)

I have a 2" lift and left it alone.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.I will check it before I get one.What are the signs I will need one after I put the lift on?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
Thanks.I will check it before I get one.What are the signs I will need one after I put the lift on?
As said above, the axles won't be off to the side too much with just a 2" suspension lift. I ran mine a year or so like that without problem. Once you get to a 3" or taller lift, then it's definitely time to install adjustable length control arms.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
I ran mine with the original trackbar after the lift was installed. My lift supposedly is only 2.5" but I got more like 3.5" out of it (you know, your results may vary as they say). I could tell by looking that the front was off toward the driver side by a inch or bit more. Drove it that way with no problems for about 3 months until I got tired of looking at it that way. Installed the JKS version and am now within a 1/8" of so. Then all I had to so was straiten the steering wheel using the drag link adjustment. Never needed to do any of it, I just like things to match (yes, I'm a stickler for conformity on my Jeep which by the way gets me into trouble sometimes). If your a 'close enough sort' then with a 2" lift I'm not certain I would even bother. What ever you do, don't swap out the front trackbar until after the lift is installed. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I prefer to disconnect the track bar , I plumb a 4' level down the side of the tire ,touching the lower sidewall and measure to the edge of the fender flare , turn steering wheel slightly one way or the other will center the chassis pretty darn close. Adjust the track bar so mounting hole lines up and torque it . Then recenter your steering wheel as needed by adjusting the sleeve on the draglink. It usually takes me a few drives until I get the steering wheel positioned correctly but I am a little fussy about a straight steering wheel when I am driving

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
Same here. Took me about 2 trips around the block with a stop back at the garage to readjust before I got it right. :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts