Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having a problem now with the front driveshaft rubbing up against the Exhaust Down-pipe. Eventually, it cracked bc of the wear, giving me a real bad exhaust leak. See pic:

image-1299595891.jpg

So, I wanted to adjust the vertical height of the pipe, without getting too crazy with frame mounts. So I made these:

image-899947.jpg

I bent 3/8" threaded rod and added stainless nuts and terminal end-rods.

Then I attached them here, at the bottom flange of the CAT:

image-1335524771.jpg

Now you can adjust the total height of the exhaust by spinning up or down and locking the terminal portions. They move up pressing against the skid plate.

image-1788184874.jpg

Problem solved, never need to buy another down pipe again lol.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
When mine did this I used mechanics wire to pull the pipe away from the shaft and hold it there. Your idea is more permanent, great solution. I might have to do that next time I'm under there!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry for the negative first post but that will cause another crack.

Your engine moves on its mounts which is why your exhaust is hung from rubber mounts. The exhaust must move with it. By pressing against your skid the exhaust is held steady as your engine moves. Something's gotta give and it will be your downpipe.

A better solution would be a bend in the downpipe around your driveshaft. With the pipe remove a competent exhaust shop can do this easily.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you're saying and I agree. However there isn't much pressure on the exhaust as the entire down-pipe to muffler tip still moves freely. It's not pressed up against the skid plate with so much tension that it doesn't move, it's not even touching the skid plate at all actually when it hangs freely. The bolts just stop it from contacting the driveshaft when it does flex/move. I was going to get a custom pipe made like you said, but they wanted $90 to do i but I did this for $5. That last picture isn't accurate to the way it looks currently, that was with the terminals threaded all the way down before I moved them up and tightened the exhaust manifold bolts up, it's just meant to give an idea of how much of a different it can make, you have to fine tune it as you go along.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well there you go then.

Keep an eye on that. If it does restrict movement you stand a chance of cracking the manifold.

As a racecar driver/builder there has been many times that I had to find a less expensive way to keep her on the track. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts