Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me finding the right screw to adjust for following problem on my Jeep YJ Wrangler 1988 4.2 6cyl, engine starts normal, after 2-3 minutes runs too high on 2500-3500 rpm, after engine is warm it stalls when in idle, p.e. at traffic lights. I adjusted already a bit but then the engine started and stalled already when engine is cold.
I will attach a picture with those 3 screws maybe someone can help me which screws to adjust in or out, so the motor is not running to high when cold and does not stall when warm.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts
It may not be the adjustment of the screw settings.

Here's a link to a common BBD problem.

If adjusting the screws doesn't fix the idle part of your problem, thy the fix suggested in the link.

A Seafoam gas treatment might help too (one oz. of Seafoam to each gallon of gas in your tank). Many of us use Seafoam as an oil additive shortly before an oil/filter change.

Let us know what works.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may not be the adjustment of the screw settings.

Here's a link to a common BBD problem.

If adjusting the screws doesn't fix the idle part of your problem, thy the fix suggested in the link.

A Seafoam gas treatment might help too (one oz. of Seafoam to each gallon of gas in your tank). Many of us use Seafoam as an oil additive shortly before an oil/filter change.

Let us know what works.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thank you so much Luckymac

Unfortunately i just changed oil and filter just a few weeks ago, can i still do the Seafoam gas treatment afterwards? Sounds pretty interesting to me.

I once added the Lucas "Tune-up in a bottle" a few years ago, but it seemed that the performance even got worse.

Thank you also for the link about the common BBD problem, i read through it. I will try it as soon as i got some time in the next couple of weeks.

Cornelius

·
Super Moderator
13,985 Posts
The Seafoam treatment for the oil is typically used as a regular preventative maintenance procedure. As these old heaps age, it seems that the previous owners (POs) put off needed maintenance. If they don't do regular oil changes, crud builds up inside the motor. This leads to noisy lifters and stuck piston rings. When we get ahold of these rigs, many of them suffer from a lack of TLC.
We want the best for our rides, so we try to what ever the Jeep needs so that it can give us the best performance and reliability. One thing we can do is try to keep the Jeep clean, inside, outside and internally. Internally is where the Seafoam comes in. Some posters suggest using Marvel Mystery Oil rather than Seafoam. Read the containers and make your choice. I've used both with (apparent) similar outcomes.

Early on in my ownership, I had a lifter that would stick on initial startup of a cold engine. It made an awful CLACK noise. As the engine warmed up and oil pressure built, the clack would go away. Someone on this forum suggested Seafoam. I did a treatment and the problem improved after the first treatment. I did it again at the next oil change and the clack went totally away. My motor is pushing 200K miles and runs well enough for a worn motor. I had back surgery and just had a shoulder replacement, so I haven't driven the Jeep much recently. I drove it a couple days ago after it sat for a few weeks and the clack has returned as more of a click than a loud clack. I'll do the Seafoam treatment again in a few weeks as I usually do each autumn. I don't drive the Jeep enough to hit 3000 miles -5000 miles between oil changes, so I change the oil as the seasons change. Usually in mid-autumn after the heat of the summer is done, and again in mid-spring, once the crappy winter weather is done. Since I installed an Explorer 8.8 rear axle just before I had my shoulder replaced, I'll include changing the front and rear differential fluids as part of this autumn's maintenance schedule. Of course I'll grease whatever gets grease and check whatever else I think needs checking too.

As far as the actual Seafoam treatment, as the day for my autumnal regular maintenance approaches, I add 6 oz. Seafoam to my crankcase (my oil capacity is 6 qts) and drive the Jeep gently through a couple trips to town or short drives just to enjoy driving my Jeep. This gives the Seafoam a chance to work on loosening whatever crud is stuck on the surfaces and in the crevices of the internal engine parts. Then, when I get some time, I change the oil and filter.
For my worn motor I use 20W-40 high mileage oil in whatever brand is on sale. My Jeep lives in an unheated attached garage and it rarely gets below zero here, so I don't concern myself with lighter oil in the winter and heavier oil in the summer. Use what oil works best for your Jeep in the area where you live.
When I got my Jeep in early 2014, the PO had just installed a new water pump and radiator with new coolant. I guess it's time to change the coolant after 7 years. Our YJs use the old school green stuff. I'll also do a new thermostat (195* MOPAR or Stant) and look over all my heater and radiator hoses. I've changed a couple hoses through the years so some are fairly new and some aren't so new. Any that are the least bit sketchy will get replaced.

Fixing things on your Jeep in your garage before they break is way better than fixing them along side the highway while you're on your way to work in the rain or snow (or out on the trail, miles from anywhere).

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: gat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marvel Mystery Oil
Thank you for that detailed description. I can find a lot of similarity, i don't drive my YJ as much as well and not at all in the winter as i be heading to warmer weather.
It's also parked in a garage with no extra heating. I hopefully have some time next week to check if the Seafoam helps.

Have a good one
Cornelius

1 - 5 of 5 Posts