Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me finding the right screw to adjust for following problem on my Jeep YJ Wrangler 1988 4.2 6cyl, engine starts normal, after 2-3 minutes runs too high on 2500-3500 rpm, after engine is warm it stalls when in idle, p.e. at traffic lights. I adjusted already a bit but then the engine started and stalled already when engine is cold.
I will attach a picture with those 3 screws maybe someone can help me which screws to adjust in or out, so the motor is not running to high when cold and does not stall when warm.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may not be the adjustment of the screw settings.

Here's a link to a common BBD problem.

If adjusting the screws doesn't fix the idle part of your problem, thy the fix suggested in the link.

A Seafoam gas treatment might help too (one oz. of Seafoam to each gallon of gas in your tank). Many of us use Seafoam as an oil additive shortly before an oil/filter change.

Let us know what works.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thank you so much Luckymac

Unfortunately i just changed oil and filter just a few weeks ago, can i still do the Seafoam gas treatment afterwards? Sounds pretty interesting to me.

I once added the Lucas "Tune-up in a bottle" a few years ago, but it seemed that the performance even got worse.

Thank you also for the link about the common BBD problem, i read through it. I will try it as soon as i got some time in the next couple of weeks.

Cornelius

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marvel Mystery Oil
Thank you for that detailed description. I can find a lot of similarity, i don't drive my YJ as much as well and not at all in the winter as i be heading to warmer weather.
It's also parked in a garage with no extra heating. I hopefully have some time next week to check if the Seafoam helps.

Have a good one
Cornelius

1 - 3 of 3 Posts