Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all in the forum! We’re currently looking into advertising and correctly pricing out our 2016 Tank Green JK Hard Rock Rubicon Unlimited 46000 miles loaded with Alpine retrofit 8 in. CarPlay based Navi, updated audio amps with Hertz speakers, Mopar Led Headlamps & Fog Lights as well as front Mopar bullbar attached to steel bumper and Duratrak all terrain tires. Where can we list this vehicle and is there a reference we can use to price everything out for consideration? Thank you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tough Question, but I'll try to get you started (sold a Tank Green 2015 JLUR in the past 6 months).

First, start with stock comps. You can use KBB.com, or more accurately check out what similar mileage (ignore color to give yourself a bigger sample set) comps in your area are listed for on CarGurus.com. From there you might want to expand nationally to see if that changes the range at all. I'd argue you might get a slight premium for Tank given the limited numbers of them and someone might pay up for it.

Second, as a rule of thumb I would add up the retail cost of all your upgrades (not including labor), divide that in half, and add it to your price. Some people would suggest parting out your aftermarket stuff here, but I think you'd spend more time than its worth given your upgrades.

That should give you a ballpark price. Once you've got that you can list on the classifieds here, your local craigslist, and cargurus.com as well. I have had success on all three sites with various jeeps. The more custom (and I'd argue yours is on the very low end) the more time you should expect to need to list it.

My gut tells me you start around $30k, and hope to get around there.

Best of luck!!!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
moved it from JL to JK. look at NADA or Kelly blue book.

None of your add ons are really going to amount to more than a few dollars. those are both pretty good for ball park. craigs list and local facebook ads work. I doubt many people ever actually sell a vehicle via a forum classified. Look for your local market places.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you cmchism and jadmt for such informative and thoughtful suggestions. I agree our after market add ons may have some limited appeal and should not be too factored into our Hard Rock JKUR’s overall value. But definitely the tank green in its very limited run should have some target admirers once I can advertise based on both national and local comps. As for advertising here in the forum it can’t hurt to try as well as this amazing medium and one of its wonderful members took the time to let us know that he had seen our Jeep at a favorite local dealership and was kind enough to share photos and live video of our Wrangler on their lot. We’re currently test driving the JL Rubicons as well as Gladiators and hope to come up with a good trade up plan by advertising our current JL in the best possible light vs. what a dealer may be offering us. Thus far we’re getting $28000 offers from one of our local dealers so at the very least we seem to be off to a very high residual start. Thanks again, your responses have been very helpful!

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,843 Posts
In short... add-ons mean squat to a dealer. They cant price out what they cant understand. However, they will use the **** out of add-ons to upsell your vehicle. Sure as shit and some first time 22yo will bite and take a huge hit on price.

Private sell for the greatest value but the longest time to sell it. Trade in for the short move and expect to take less.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Growing up with a parent in the auto sales industry, I have bought, sold, traded more cars than I care to admit. If it were me, I would take it to the nearest Carmax and get a bid. Then from that point, you have a decent baseline. You could always attempt to sell it yourself by adding X to the Carmax offer. Carmax generally gives a decent amt on trade in due to the fact they sell their cars for more than most other dealers. If you are getting a new car after geting rid of the Jeep, one thing to keep in mind is the tax benefit of trading it in. If you sell it outright for 28K, then go and buy a new car afterwards you will have to pay taxes on the entire new car price. (If taxes are applicable in NY, which I think they are at 4.5%). Meaning if they dealer you buy the new car from gives you 27K, you are actually better off than selling it outright for 28K as the sales tax benefit is $1215. Remember you cannot legally pay sales tax twice. If you trade anything in, you have already paid tax on that and the amt they give you for the trade will be deducted from the taxable amount. Basic Math is you buy new car for 40K and they give you 26K, you will only pay tax on 14k.

Apologies if that is clear as mud.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Thank you cmchism and jadmt for such informative and thoughtful suggestions. I agree our after market add ons may have some limited appeal and should not be too factored into our Hard Rock JKUR’s overall value. But definitely the tank green in its very limited run should have some target admirers once I can advertise based on both national and local comps. As for advertising here in the forum it can’t hurt to try as well as this amazing medium and one of its wonderful members took the time to let us know that he had seen our Jeep at a favorite local dealership and was kind enough to share photos and live video of our Wrangler on their lot. We’re currently test driving the JL Rubicons as well as Gladiators and hope to come up with a good trade up plan by advertising our current JL in the best possible light vs. what a dealer may be offering us. Thus far we’re getting $28000 offers from one of our local dealers so at the very least we seem to be off to a very high residual start. Thanks again, your responses have been very helpful!
I think on a used vehicle color is going to be less important than overall condition.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Growing up with a parent in the auto sales industry, I have bought, sold, traded more cars than I care to admit. If it were me, I would take it to the nearest Carmax and get a bid. Then from that point, you have a decent baseline. You could always attempt to sell it yourself by adding X to the Carmax offer. Carmax generally gives a decent amt on trade in due to the fact they sell their cars for more than most other dealers. If you are getting a new car after geting rid of the Jeep, one thing to keep in mind is the tax benefit of trading it in. If you sell it outright for 28K, then go and buy a new car afterwards you will have to pay taxes on the entire new car price. (If taxes are applicable in NY, which I think they are at 4.5%). Meaning if they dealer you buy the new car from gives you 27K, you are actually better off than selling it outright for 28K as the sales tax benefit is $1215. Remember you cannot legally pay sales tax twice. If you trade anything in, you have already paid tax on that and the amt they give you for the trade will be deducted from the taxable amount. Basic Math is you buy new car for 40K and they give you 26K, you will only pay tax on 14k.

Apologies if that is clear as mud.
That don't work in Calif. You pay sales tax on how much it costs. Your trade in don't count. You can try taking almost nothing on your trade to get the price down but the state has eyes. If you have money the state wants it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
That don't work in Calif. You pay sales tax on how much it costs. Your trade in don't count. You can try taking almost nothing on your trade to get the price down but the state has eyes. If you have money the state wants it.

In Illinois, as of Jan 1st 2020, anything over $10,000 on a trade in will be taxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've had many vehicles with modifications and have found that in general, if you value the mods at $0, you'll be pretty close. When getting stuff for my Jeep, I look forward to whenever I decide to sell it. With a 14 JKU Sport, maybe I'd get a Willys Wheeler with a rear locker or a Rubicon. I'd be able to pull everything I've added to my sport (bumper, winch, skid plates, rock rails) and put them on the new JKUR. But selling my Wrangler, I would not expect anything for all these additions. If you wrench yourself and have kept the original parts, swap back to stock. Then everyone will be comparing stock for stock. The mods will have value selling on their own. Craigslist is a great place to sell used Jeep stuff.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've had many vehicles with modifications and have found that in general, if you value the mods at $0, you'll be pretty close. When getting stuff for my Jeep, I look forward to whenever I decide to sell it. With a 14 JKU Sport, maybe I'd get a Willys Wheeler with a rear locker or a Rubicon. I'd be able to pull everything I've added to my sport (bumper, winch, skid plates, rock rails) and put them on the new JKUR. But selling my Wrangler, I would not expect anything for all these additions. If you wrench yourself and have kept the original parts, swap back to stock. Then everyone will be comparing stock for stock. The mods will have value selling on their own. Craigslist is a great place to sell used Jeep stuff.
I would have to agree with this based on personal experience both selling and buying vehicles. The one thing the mods will do (sometimes) is make the vehicle easier to sell, or easier to target to a specific audience.

My most recent example is the Jeep I now own. I bought it used with 15,000 miles. It had a bunch of mods (many I wanted, some I didn't). Because of how modified it was (and it was a manual) they could not sell it to the typical Soccer Mom/Mall Cruiser buyer and it sat on the dealers lot for over 6 weeks (a guy on the lot let that one slip as I was eyeballing the Jeep).

They had the Jeep listed for $46,000 - about the same price as a new '19 JLUR. They dropped the price after a month to $40,000. After some haggling, I bough it for $32k.

There was another white '17 JKUR with 46,000 miles and bone stock that they sold the next day for $36k-something. So either I drove a better bargain or the mods actually hurt the sales price.

I tracked down the original owner on Facebook and he provided me with all the receipts and some spare parts (really nice guy). He put in over $18,000 in mods and upgrades.

As a buyer, I look for mods/upgrades, but if I see poor quality upgrades (cheap Chinese/Amazon/eBay junk) or sloppy wiring I run away. When I see high quality name brand stuff (e.g. ARB diff covers & compressor), attention to detail (e.g. Delphi connectors on all the wiring), and a generally thoughtful approach to the mods, I'm more attracted to the vehicle, as I was with this Jeep. But I don't expect to pay more than if it is unmodified.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
None of your add ons are really going to amount to more than a few dollars.
+1

So either I drove a better bargain or the mods actually hurt the sales price.
Mods might make it easier to sell (generates interest), but mods really don't bring in very much more additional cash, if any.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
It's NYC, right?
List it as rare and stick a $61,000 price tag on it. Drive around by the UN. Sell it to some ambassador's kid for $55

1 - 13 of 13 Posts