Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm about to order all parts to change my clutch in my 89 wrangler. I have read horror story's about bleeding these systems. Makes me think twice doing it myself. Has everybody had problems with this set up? What is the best way to bleed the system? Any help appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
have someone pump the clutch a few times and then hold them down..while they hold them down,you loosen the bleeder and let it burp out some air ,then tighten the bleeder back closed..after it is closed,your helper can release the clutch and then start over again..you will continue to do this until no air comes out when you bleed it..check your reservoir level often so the level stays where it should be..one thing that has really helped me is to pull the hose that goes from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder down and secure it while you do this so that the air will not get trapped in a high spot in the line but will go up to either the master cylinder where it will escape or to the slave cylinder where it will get bled out

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good... I figured it was like bleeding brakes but your tip about tying the line down Is something I haven't heard yet n sounds like good plan. Thanks for your info!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sounds good... I figured it was like bleeding brakes but your tip about tying the line down Is something I haven't heard yet n sounds like good plan. Thanks for your info!
no problem..I had never heard it either but after several times of bleeding one and then still having air in it,I tried it and it worked..been doing it ever since and have not had to go back and rebleed one again

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update; I have installed my new clutch/flywheel and sye kit. All good working order and surprisingly the clutch went well. Bled it by myself. I tied the line from the slave close to firewall to have more of a straight flow like harleydragon mentioned. I gravity bled the line before tightening it to the slave. Pumped the pedal about 10 times, got some pressure. Then put a weight on the pedal and cracked the bleeder. I did that 3 times and it all works awesome now.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Just an update; I have installed my new clutch/flywheel and sye kit. All good working order and surprisingly the clutch went well. Bled it by myself. I tied the line from the slave close to firewall to have more of a straight flow like harleydragon mentioned. I gravity bled the line before tightening it to the slave. Pumped the pedal about 10 times, got some pressure. Then put a weight on the pedal and cracked the bleeder. I did that 3 times and it all works awesome now.
cool.that's quite a feat,doing it by yourself.I have always waited until I had someone to pump it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts