Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys?

I have a 2door wrangler 2014 manual transmission. I want to boost horse power (even as little as 5 horse power).

I already installed MOPAR cold air intake. It does add a nice sound to it and a little kick (maybe 4 horse power)

But i want more! One friend suggest to install BORLA exhaust kit.
What about a snorkel? Does it add horse power?

·
Registered
302 Posts
From the short time I've been on here, it appears that nothing short of boost or nitrous (except maybe a tuner (2-5 hp...maybe) will do anything worth the money. At least this seems to be the general consensus.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
285 hp and you need 5 more? Why just 5?
You can spend much bucks chasing a little or you can spend much bucks chasing a lot.
I would say that this question can only be answered by you and what you are doing with the Jeep. If you are racing it then do a hemi swap or put in a supercharger.
Otherwise depending on your set up, regear to better use the low end HP you already have.
I have not heard much good about cai's or exhaust mods on a Pentastar. Drop weight off your rig for smaller power gains. Lose the spare, get rid of the back seats, take the top off. No real magic to be found short of spending cash and redoing things in a big way. Welcome to Jeep.
Now Chrysler is coming out with a Mopar screamer but its not going in a Jeep that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Listen, here's the deal with this.

Chasing horsepower through Normally Aspirated means is a giant money pit. If you are only looking to pick up a few HP, then it might be possible. But I say might and here's why.

It's very difficult to predict how bolt ons are going to behave on a specific engine. You can get an idea by looking at independent dyno runs. A few before runs, the a few "after" runs. But there is still an issue. Even though that specific engine in those specific circumstances produced x numbers, doesn't mean that it's going to apply to you. There are too many variables to consider. I've even seen some "tried and true" bolt ons actually loose power on different applications.

Now, don't misunderstand. NA gains are possible, and NA builds are done every day, but...it's very very involved. Especially if you want to ensure you are getting your money's worth. Each application has it's own "system" on what works for it. While you can look to others for a general guideline, after tearing into yours, you'll find that your results will vary greatly. Even if the comparison vehicle is your next door neighbor.

If you want to look at sheer HP/$ numbers, Forced Induction is going to be cheaper. MUCH cheaper.

I think that people generally have unreal expectations of bolt on mods. There is so much advertising done, and much if it is completely false, that it is really not the consumers fault.

So again, if your wanting to chase numbers in a NA platform, it can be done but just consider this a warning as it is much more involved and much more expensive than what you would probably initially believe.

So if you are wanting to go this route, here's my suggestions. And this is based on first hand experience with this type if thing.

Don't change anything airflow related until you can actually get some solid data. Do your initial baseline dyno runs and ifyou have some starving cylinders, you could have some mill work done on the manifold, port and polish, then redyno and see if that changes anything. I find usually that the same amount of money spent on a OOTB, if thrown at the manifold, you can actually pull down some better, more application specific numbers.
After you have the cylinder airflow optimized, and you have an idea of how much air is getting to them, then[\i] would be the time to decide if you need a new intake. My guess would be no, you won't, but like I said applications vary, so it's possible that if your airflow still isn't working like you want it, then maybe a new intake would help.
Exhaust wise, you should also tune with empirical numbers. Check your exhaust gas temps, your gas flow, etc. The way I've always done this, is to simply unbolt everything from the headers, do a dyno run, and see what that does. Typically dumping the exhaust will gain you a few HP. But you can't operate a DD like that unless you want to just install some manual cut outs. Then you can dump the exhaust at will and still keep your stock exhaust when you want it.

After you have the airflow you are looking for, really and truly after all this, you'll be lucky to pick up 10 hp at the wheels.

But, after you have your airflow, change the cams. Depending on the lift and duration of the stock cams, you may be able to make very good headway by changing them.

The point here is don't "bolt and pray." You should always have an idea of exactly why you are doing something. Otherwise you could possibly make things worse.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your not going to get a lot of extra HP and torque with the bolt-ons out there without a supercharger or a turbo. The 3.6L is pretty maxed out at 285HP without doing some major work with the bottom end internals. I had a 229ci V6 in an old Camaro that had 110HP which definitely had room to grow. I've got a Mopar CAI and a Jet stage 1 chip on mine. I've had it on a Dyno for a baseline and waiting to schedule another run to see how much actually has been gained or lost. It seems like the down shifting has been changed for my Automatic and it's definitely louder. The only other option I was going to pursue was a Borla exhaust. At that point I'd be creeping up at the cost of around 2k. I could've re-geared at that point, but I put a lot of Highway miles on mine and see 70mph often. I need the 4 wheel in the winter or I could've bought a challenger or something. Find a balance for your needs and do a lot of research. A snorkel is only going to keep your wrangler from hydro locking the engine in deep water.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
5 HP you won't feel, that's less than a 2% increase. Any mods that don't give at least 10% are worthless, just wasting money.

There are no bolt-on's like CAI's, spaces, exhaust systems, or any gadgets that will provide that ammount of increase.

Shifting topic, why do you want an increase? Jeeps are low speed crawlers and have all the power they need for that.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
An intake won't give you any more power, because the factory intake IS NOT A BOTTLENECK. The throttle body is, because the computer controls it and the computer uses the throttle body to REGULATE AIRFLOW INTO THE ENGINE. It's blocking all that air you think you're letting in, and it does so on purpose.

So:
A-you're not actually making more air available because the factory intake isn't a restriction and
B-even if A were not true, the computer uses the throttle butterfly to control the amount of air sucked into the engine. It's literally a plate that rotates to block the air. Your cone filter isn't going to change how an engine works. There's a reason these companies don't have before/after dyno testing to prove their mods work...they don't.
C-on many cars the "more power" people feel is actually snappier throttle response. I threw a modified Mustang 4.6 throttle body (65mm) on a Focus (replacing a 50mm TB) and installed an intake. There was absolutely an improvement, but it was almost all by eliminating throttle lag. The problem in a Pentastar is, again, the computer. It's a drive-by-wire system. The computer records how hard you mash the pedal and converts that into engine control signals. So you don't even get the throttle response improvement that you could get from an older vehicle that had an actual cable running from the pedal to the TB.

Unless you're remapping the throttle and fuel flow and/or running forced induction you're not gonna get a damn thing except water through an aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If I was really going to do it and didn't want to blast the cash on a supercharger, I'd get a zex wet kit, a window switch, remote opener, blow off tube, warmer, PSI gauge, A/F gauge, exhaust gas temp gauge, meth kit, colder plugs and a 75 shot.

It would be safe, able to be turned on and off, and around 1k. What you would use it for in a jeep, I have no idea.

·
Registered
344 Posts
290 horse power is a lot, especially for a 2 door. You want a nicer sound, put a tuned muffler on, you want more horsepower, attach a blower or a v8, you want it to look pretty, paint it. Short cuts do nothing but waste time and money as well as the potential to void your warranty. Not sure why you need more hp, sounds like you should have bought a GTR or corvette instead of a wrangler.

Hyper tech computer will allow octane timing advance, so you can effectively use 93 octane and get the performance from that fuel, won't void your warranty, just unhook it if you need any dealer repair.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Even better... trade it in for a SRT RAM.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can sympathize with the desire for more HP I had a 13 mustang GT and after a few mods had dynoed out at 400+ RWHP....I miss that power but I like the jeep more. If i hit the lottery and could justify a V8 swap or a supercharger I would be all over it, but jeeps are not meant to be race cars.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I agree with sympathy for more HP, but no matter how much HP the factory provides as owners we always want more. Unlike the 3.8 the Pentastar at least gets the JK into respectable power category, particularly for those that install lift kits and big tires. In stock form the 3.6 with 4.10s is quite respectable for a Jeep.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with sympathy for more HP, but no matter how much HP the factory provides as owners we always want more. Unlike the 3.8 the Pentastar at least gets the JK into respectable power category, particularly for those that install lift kits and big tires. In stock form the 3.6 with 4.10s is quite respectable for a Jeep.
I got the pentastar engine in my new jk and it kinda jumps very happy with the performance for a jeep. When ever I switch from my patriot it's night and day

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Like others have said, I don't think there are tangible gains in HP to be had through inexpensive mods. There is something that isn't considered though, and that is throttle response. I think some of these mods are capable of improving throttle response. The gains are subjective, something which people here hate to read, and thats understandable. Throttle response can get into the whole "throttle lag" wormhole if you search that too.

The Pentastar makes great horsepower and decent torque, but the area all that resides seems much more fun for a sporty car than a Jeep.

I went with a Dynomax exhaust that deleted the resonator and the Jeep just feels better. It rolls out easier and doesn't feel as lazy. Maybe the intake also helps that, I don't really buy into that as much as uncorking the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The "problem" is that the engineers behind this damn thing did a good job massaging about all the power you can get from it with major expense.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Coming from the import scene with small 2.3 liter engine making over 570hp at the wheels on pump gas needs the engine to be properly tuned on a dyno to recognize said add on. I luckily had a beautiful snail shell to reach said number.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts