Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is a duplicate post. There are so many threads with "fog light" in there that I couldn't find a thread that simply explain how to get to the fog light and replace it. I'm at the dealership at the moment and they want to charge me $79 for a bulb. Not a chance in hell.

So can anyone point me in the right direction to a write up on replacing fog lights?

And I'm thinking that if I'm going to replace the bulb I might as well throw in some upgraded bulbs. Does anyone know of any fog light bulbs that would be better than the stock ones but still be suitable for the stock housing?

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I bought some LED bulbs from Amazon that another Jeeper posted about on the forum. I haven't installed them yet though so I'd be interested in the easiest way to install them too. I'll see if I can find the link to the replacement bulbs for you.

·
Premium Member
16,893 Posts
I apologize if this is a duplicate post. There are so many threads with "fog light" in there that I couldn't find a thread that simply explain how to get to the fog light and replace it. I'm at the dealership at the moment and they want to charge me $79 for a bulb. Not a chance in hell.

So can anyone point me in the right direction to a write up on replacing fog lights?

And I'm thinking that if I'm going to replace the bulb I might as well throw in some upgraded bulbs. Does anyone know of any fog light bulbs that would be better than the stock ones but still be suitable for the stock housing?

Thanks everyone
To make it easy. Pull your grill and remove the flat plastic trim plate between bumper and grill and you'll have an easier time. I think I may have taken off the air dam as well. ALL these things come off easy.
The plastic screws on the flat trim piece are better replaced with normal push pins because they suimply do not co-operate with being removed and replaced at all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DC, that would be appreciate.

Thanks Rubicon. I'm in idiot and initially thought you mean thumb tacks. Push pins sound like a good idea. Glad to hear all these pieces come off easily.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Watch a Youtube video on removing JK grill to make doing it your first time easier. The clips that hold them in can be temperamental. The horizontal trim piece that sits between the bumper and the grill makes access easy when removed. The lights themselves are easy to remove and replace. Here is a very straightforward grill removal video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6JtHdVs-T4

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
16,893 Posts
six(6) of these and then just the "clips" that you release by gently but firmly tug the grill forward.

Here is the Flat piece I was referring to.

the screws that are a bugger to get out and reuse. Better off replaced with new or push pins (like the ones that hold the grill on) ALL can be purchased (cheap) at an auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Some people have had issues with them so read the reviews first.

·
Premium Member
16,893 Posts
I changed my entire light/housing to the JWSpeakers so in all fairness and wanting to be accurate for you. I haven't been under there in awhile. It may be an even easier process just changing bulbs. Someone may chime in or I'll crawl under when I get home.
It may be just a matter of air dam removal and getting up in there to undo the bulb.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just replaced my fog light bulbs 2 weeks ago. Went with OEM replacement bulbs that I got at Amazon for $14 each. It was a bitch getting the old bulbs out (didn't have to remove the entire enclosure, but I did have to sacrifice some of the tabs on the old bulbs. Didn't care, as I was replacing them anyway. The hardest part was getting my fat hands in there to pry them out. Just be careful.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, everyone.

I wrote this post when I got to the dealership and I'm still here. Why didn't I just change my oil myself?

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah I am not sure what the fuss is all about. You do not need to remove anything to get to them, just crawl under and reach above the air dam. You could remove the air dam as it is easy enough to do to make it easier, but not too hard with it in the way either. The bulbs have squeeze tabs to lock them into the housing. I bought the LED replacements and they were tough to install. I had to trim some of the plastic clips a bit and ended up removing a rubber 0-ring before it would snap in. Replacing with a standard bulb takes all of 2 minutes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll certainly check out some videos and I'll get under my jeep and see how easy it'll be to get to the bulbs. I don't have big hands so maybe I'll be alright. Thank again for the advice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah I am not sure what the fuss is all about. You do not need to remove anything to get to them, just crawl under and reach above the air dam. You could remove the air dam as it is easy enough to do to make it easier, but not too hard with it in the way either. The bulbs have squeeze tabs to lock them into the housing. I bought the LED replacements and they were tough to install. I had to trim some of the plastic clips a bit and ended up removing a rubber 0-ring before it would snap in. Replacing with a standard bulb takes all of 2 minutes.
Yup very simple, I did mine the other day, didn't have to remove anything. I bought the LED's off Amazon also, the tabs didn't line up, they were in the wrong place. All I did was dremell them off and they fit fine.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Removing them is easy. I thought they would twist out, but they don't. You have to squeeze the two tabs on the back of the foglight. They are a bit of a pain to get it. At first I didn't realize there were tabs that needed to line up, and I kinda smushed mine from pressing too hard. But once I realized that, it wasn't a big deal. My airdam was already off, since it looked stupid anyways so I don't know if that would've been in the way or not

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick question, if I were to replace my stock headlights bulbs with either Sylvania or Phillips top of line H13 bulbs, would there be any issues with the stock housing? I just don't want any beam pattern issues or any flooding of the light.

I'm looking at these two:

Phillips
Amazon.com: Philips 9008XVS2 X-Treme Vision Headlight Bulb, (Pack of 2): Automotive

Sylvania
Amazon.com: SYLVANIA H13 SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, (Pack of 2): Automotive

Amazon says the Phillips bulb isn't compatible, but as far as I know 9008 equals H13, right? Anyway, thanks again for the help so far, everyone. This Jeep newbie appreciates it.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I put the Philips H13 / 9008 in my JKUS and I have no issues. Decent improvement over stock lights

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool, thanks. I'm definitely leaning toward the Phillips. I'll be pulling the trigger on them very soon haha.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts