Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to change the spark plugs on my '08 JKU and according to Teraflex, there's a method of changing the spark plugs where you don't have to remove the whole intake manifold, instead you can remove the fender liner and access the plugs from the side. I've successfully removed my fender liner but i still cant see the spark plugs on the Driver side of the jeep. Anyone else try this method of spark plug replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's the passenger side that removing the fender liner makes access to the plugs easier. The driver side plugs can be gotten to with relative ease from the top of the engine.

The 07-11 3.8L does not require the removal of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I changed the plugs myself on my 2013 JKU with the 3.6L Pentastar. The plugs on the passenger side were not too much trouble. I don't see anyway possible to remove the plugs on the driverside without removing the intake manifold. There are a bunch of hoses, bolts, and wire harnesses to remove, but it really is not too bad of a job. The coil packs are located right under the intake manifold so the only way you will get those out to get to the plugs is to remove the manifold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quick Tip On a 3.8: Maybe reposted, but I discovered an easier way to access the passenger side plugs by removing the air intake assembly canister and rubber hose up to the throttle body. You will basically have a straight shot for your arm (from the front) with lots of room to use a ratchet and an extension without the need of a universal joint. Use a magnetic plug socket to make plugs 1, 3 and the dreaded 5 in the back even easier...piece of cake yesterday. Put some silicone grease (aka dielectric grease) on the 3 plastic peg fasteners on the bottom of the air box before reattaching to make removal easier next time.

For the driver side, it's easy from the top and from the side by the wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts