Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You will need a Short T30 Torx, and 12mm wrench.

You will also likely need to cut the exhaust bolts and drill them out.

1. Find out of you have clearance. Measure the thickness of the transmission pan. Measure the gap you have from the pan down to the exhaust. On my 2013 the gap was smaller than the pan thickness so it would not come out on its own. If yours does than have room than you are in great shape.

2. Remove or cut exhaust bolts from right side joint. They are pressed or welded nuts on the upper converter side. The bolt will likely break when you try to remove them. If it breaks than you will need to cut or grind the nut off on the top side and drill out the remaining broken bolt. You can try to drive the nut up and out but it did not work for me. I drilled mine out with 3 incrementally larger drills until I could fit a 5/16" bolt through.

3. Pry the exhaust joint open about 1" or so. You may have to remove or loosed the bolts for the cross member if you still do not have clearance. They are 3 - 18mm bolts (NOT 19mm).

4. Remove the 6 Torx screws and 12mm bolt. Leave the 2 center ones for last. Once you remove them you will have ATF fluid going everywhere. If you keep the front up then it will only come out of the rear of the pan.

5. Replace the filter and put it back together and add approximately what you remove. 5/16" x 2.25" grade 5 or 8 bolts should hold the exhaust back together and come apart easy next time.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
Thanks for posting! It looks like a PITA to do.

When I do a pan drop I take fluid extractor and get as much ATF out as possible before dropping the pan. It makes less of a mess and life a bit easier.

Has anyone done it on a 2012 or newer JK with the NAG1?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

When I do a pan drop I take fluid extractor and get as much ATF out as possible before dropping the pan. It makes less of a mess and life a bit easier.

This is a 2013 with the NAG1 same as W5A580

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

I have. That's also what this write up is about.

However, I did not have to touch my exhaust. The pan just barely fit through with a little maneuvering.

And yes, I drained all fluid from the top with a pump first, it made it a lot less messy. One other thing to note. the gasket is not a gasket it all, it is a rubber seal that is reusable. I wish someone would have told me that before I bought one when I did this.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
I have. That's also what this write up is about.

However, I did not have to touch my exhaust. The pan just barely fit through with a little maneuvering.

And yes, I drained all fluid from the top with a pump first, it made it a lot less messy. One other thing to note. the gasket is not a gasket it all, it is a rubber seal that is reusable. I wish someone would have told me that before I bought one when I did this.

Do you have a JK? My JK looks like it will clear. Next time I'm under it I'm going to measure it to see.

I saw the seal was reusable, actually its a nice design. It beats the RV sealant they used on my 08 Liberty's transmission pan.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried to get my pan off by maneuvering it many different ways and it would not work. Every time it would hit the filter. If I popped the filter off so it dropped into the pan than it would have slide out, but how would I have got it back installed.

I under stand that there could be exhaust variations and my particular one I had to lower the exhaust.

·
Registered
357 Posts
get a drain plug welded on once it's off...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Do you have a JK? My JK looks like it will clear. Next time I'm under it I'm going to measure it to see.

I saw the seal was reusable, actually its a nice design. It beats the RV sealant they used on my 08 Liberty's transmission pan.
Yes, 2012 JKUR.

BTW, there was so little break in junk in my pan after 20K when I changed it that when I hit 50K, I'll probably just do a pump out from the topside and refill. I also have EVO skids that would have to come off now so it's even more of a pain.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Will help but then you can't change the filter. At least you won't dump fluid everywhere.
+2 A drain plug is a good idea but the filter is an important part of the procedure. Its like changing your motor oil without changing the filter. The filter traps any foreign debris or metals and IMHO needs to be changed. The other problem I see with a drain plug is the possibility of hitting it off road.

On the other side it would aid in the mess of draining.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i agree with the filter change also,drain plug just gets more fluid out for less mess before dropping the pan.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
Yes, 2012 JKUR.

BTW, there was so little break in junk in my pan after 20K when I changed it that when I hit 50K, I'll probably just do a pump out from the topside and refill. I also have EVO skids that would have to come off now so it's even more of a pain.

JKUR thanks. I was wondering about a JK, 2 door shorter wheelbase. I'm wondering if the exhaust is more forgiving than the OP's. Weather permitting I might just crawl under mine and measure this week just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now I can drain the fluid, pull the pan, and change the trans filter in the same time as an oil change.

It is hidden nicely between the two cross members so there is no chance of it hitting anything.

I used a O2 sensor bung and it was welded from top and bottom.

My only concern is that it could rust where I removed the platting for welding. Only time will tell,,,,,,, a loooonnng time.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts