Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My soft top rear window is terrible. Can't see anything through it. Any ideas on a good way to clear them up. I don't want to buy new ones as these are in great shape otherwise.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I saw a you tube video on this from an auto detailer about a year ago. It involved using a grinder/polisher and compound, but I don't remember exactly. I do remember that the windows that he did looked like new. Maybe a google search would turn up something.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You may want to add anything you have tried to fix the problem, or else the only recommendation you will get is to clean your windows :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I saw a you tube video on this from an auto detailer about a year ago. It involved using a grinder/polisher and compound, but I don't remember exactly. I do remember that the windows that he did looked like new. Maybe a google search would turn up something.
How to Clean Convertible Top & Restore "Yellow" Window Curtesy of Ammo NYC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmrKCKXx9FM

·
Registered
262 Posts
Pledge furniture polish (spray) works great! Nice lemony scent too!
Pledge is great stuff. I use it to clean the chrome on my harley and stainless steal appliances in the house but never thought about the windows on the jeep will give it a try.

rk classic

·
Registered
73 Posts
rk_classic - you really need to work it to get it off the plastic, otherwise it can be a streaky mess. Just a little elbow grease and it works itself out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How To Polish Jeep Soft Top Windows

My 2010 Jeep Wrangler has a soft top that has been neglected. The windows are hazy, scratched and dirty. Here's is my method of clearing up the plastic windows. It was hard to get great pictures of plastic windows but I hope these pictures can help you if you need to clear up some plastic windows.

This is a picture of a side window that is a good example of the type of scratches that I am trying to clean up.

Preparation:

Remove windows from the Jeep.

Clean the plastic windows very well with glass cleaner.

Clay the plastic windows.

Tape off the canvas area of the windows.

Polishing

Step 1:
Using a dual action polisher, polish the plastic windows with a polish with Aggressiveness = 4, according to the Autopia Polish Comparison Chart. I used Optimum Polish II and a green Hex Logic pad.

Use heavy pressure. I pressed hard enough to almost slow down the polisher. The pad will get warm.

Wipe away polish with a quality microfiber towel.

Step 2:

Using a dual action polisher, polish the plastic windows with a polish with Aggressiveness = 2, according to the Autopia Polish Comparison Chart. I used Chemical Guys V38 and a white Hex Logic pad.

Use heavy pressure.

Wipe away polish with a quality microfiber towel.

Finishing

Wipe down plastic windows with 15% isopropyl alcohol/85% water solution.

Dry windows with your softest microfiber cloth.

Final results
Incredible difference in person, if you can't tell from the pictures. Plastic windows are clear. The worst scratches (the ones that made it hard to see) are cleared up. There are some swirls left but they do not affect the driver's vision.

Here are some pictures of the final results:

Picture of The Mouse under the plastic window after polishing

Reinstalled in the Jeep

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Just picked up some Meguiars Plastx and Ill be trying that on my windows this weekend. Trying to get rid of some finer scratches and clouding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mike Phillips from Autogeek recently posted that he had success with PlastX and a white pad with a dual action polisher. I did not have good results with PlastX. It cleans really well, but it is not really a polish. My windows were in very bad shape though. They required polishing with an abrasive polish, but not too abrasive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts