Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wrangler arrives in a little over a week... and I have a strange question. How would I go about disabling the seatbelt warning light and buzzer? Sometimes I don't care to wear a seatbelt, regardless of legality, but the big thing is I have a 90 lb dog that likes to ride in the front seat, and he sets off the seatbelt warning.

In my S-10, I just unplugged the harness that attaches to the seat buckle. The car thought both front seatbelts were buckled all the time, and no annoying warnings. Is it that easy for the Wrangler too?

Charles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Google is great but I'll help you out.

Jump in and buckle up
Turn the key to ACC (on but not started)
Wait for all the dummy lights to stop
Unbuckle / rebuckle 10x's for good measure
Turn off vehicle you should hear a chime

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
My wrangler arrives in a little over a week... and I have a strange question. How would I go about disabling the seatbelt warning light and buzzer? Sometimes I don't care to wear a seatbelt, regardless of legality, but the big thing is I have a 90 lb dog that likes to ride in the front seat, and he sets off the seatbelt warning.

In my S-10, I just unplugged the harness that attaches to the seat buckle. The car thought both front seatbelts were buckled all the time, and no annoying warnings. Is it that easy for the Wrangler too?

Charles.
I can appreciate the dog angle on this topic but simply from a safety angle for you and your dog I had to reply. As a Collision Reconstructionist I've attended hundreds of fatalities. if ejected from your vehicle, you have a 75% chance of that vehicle rolling over top of you. Lets factor in the increased likelihood that you will be ejected from a Jeep when not wearing a seatbelt. Now with airbags, if you trick the control module into thinking that the seatbelt is worn when if fact it's not, it could result in different deployments than what you might think. If the crash doesn't kill you, your airbag might.

Bla bla bla, I know, 'who invited this guy to the party!' Jeeps are so well designed for safety as long as you remain in the vehicle. That's one of the reasons I bought one.

Kill the dinger but don't stop wearing the belt, please.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When driving better than 25, I always wear my belt. But if I'm cruising the main drag, crawling, or in my own neighborhood I often will take it off. The big reason is for the dog though. Drives me nuts hearing the ding-ding-ding...

Charles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Turn off the dinger as mentioned in the first post, and that leaves the warning on the dash. On my farm, on trails in the forest by my farm, or at the boat ramp, I don't have it on and that dinging made me want to find a bridge to drive off of. On the road it's always on. It's safer that way, and I don't want to pay a ticket for something that nonsensical.

As much as the dog angle might be an angle, my golden retriever did the same thing. She'd hop up into the front seat and set off the dinger while I was driving. I'm not a patient person for noises like that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So.... if all this stuff is controlled by the computer... especially with the EVIC menus and all... why doesn't Jeep put the option to select tire size right there in the EVIC? That'd make it worth the upgrade if it cost four times as much.

Charles.

·
Registered
545 Posts
No seat belt huh? Ok tough guy. I don't care how old you are, "we never wore them back when" "I drive careful" "its uncomfortable" etc. I had a friend that got pulled out from under the dash by the fire department of his Z28 from not wearing his seatbelt from a survivable accident..... well, parts of him. Needless to say it was a closed casket funeral. I dont get it. If you want to kill yourself great. Thats the best case scenario. You could always get thrown out and mamed, disfigured, paralyzed, etc. Don't want to hear the chime? Wear your seat belt. For the dog? Buckle the belt before he hops in.

·
Registered
414 Posts
No seat belt huh? Ok tough guy. I don't care how old you are, "we never wore them back when" "I drive careful" "its uncomfortable" etc. I had a friend that got pulled out from under the dash by the fire department of his Z28 from not wearing his seatbelt from a survivable accident..... well, parts of him. Needless to say it was a closed casket funeral. I dont get it. If you want to kill yourself great. Thats the best case scenario. You could always get thrown out and mamed, disfigured, paralyzed, etc. Don't want to hear the chime? Wear your seat belt. For the dog? Buckle the belt before he hops in.
The thread wasn't titled "Can you please demean me and give examples of why I should wear a seat belt?"

·
Registered
124 Posts
Same as difference between helmet and no helmet-open casket! Also 70 years no seat belt, no helmet, no child seats(more grandparents have died from heart attacks trying to install the seats).

Ebay has bottle opener inserts that fit into the seat belt-no alarm!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This is a bit more work but a good solution:

Disconnect the seat belt harness under the seat and insert a safety pin closing the circuit. No chime, no light. I have a curved driveway and pull a trailer occasionally - so I'm looking over my shoulder and don't put the belt on till I hit the street.

If you have air tools, just remove the 4 seat bolts and flip the seat back to get an unobstructed view. Install a security box while you're doing all this.

As for Social-JK - Take it easy - be nice. I can see you from a long way off.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Holier than thou attitudes like this often just makes people want to ignore your advice just to spite you. I kind of feel like a cruise without my seat belt right now in fact... :whistling:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Is it possible to disable the "key in" chime when the door opens with the key in the ignition? I often sit in the Jeep and listen to the radio, and when I get out the door chime sounds, which I'd like to avoid. I know I can unhook the door harness, but sometimes I forget about that and it ends up getting caught under my foot when I go to clutch. Obviously I don't want to damage the harness. I don't have an EVIC, btw, mine's a base model Sport. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seat belt laws, like most all other new laws in this country, are an infringement upon personal freedom and choice.

We live in an age where the G-ment mandates "safety" over and on top of our personal freedoms. And people seem to be ok with it. :banghead: Instead of allowing people to choose reasonable and prudent speeds, we force them to drive certain speeds. Instead of allowing people to call and discuss anything they want, we monitor and store those phone calls. All in the name of "safety". Its stupid.

Please let people make their own choices on how they want to live (or not) and stop being a nanny and telling them they have to wear seat belts. I cringe everytime I hear someone nagging about wearing seatbelts. Let the man have his personal freedom and choice.

I did the manual override as described in post #2 and love not hearing a beep when I exercise freedom to not wear a seat belt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Seat belt laws, like most all other new laws in this country, are an infringement upon personal freedom and choice.

We live in an age where the G-ment mandates "safety" over and on top of our personal freedoms. And people seem to be ok with it. :banghead: Instead of allowing people to choose reasonable and prudent speeds, we force them to drive certain speeds. Instead of allowing people to call and discuss anything they want, we monitor and store those phone calls. All in the name of "safety". Its stupid.

Please let people make their own choices on how they want to live (or not) and stop being a nanny and telling them they have to wear seat belts. I cringe everytime I hear someone nagging about wearing seatbelts. Let the man have his personal freedom and choice.

I did the manual override as described in post #2 and love not hearing a beep when I exercise freedom to not wear a seat belt.
The reptilian overlords are trying to control us through the employment of safety equipment so they can further use us to farm our money for their profit! Call Alex Jones!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.