Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a CJ7 and she has some rust spots that have eaten through the metal (small spots, nothing that warrants completely replacing anything hopefully...) but I'm not nearly talented enough to cut it out and weld in new metal. There's a spot right above the door hinge on the body, one on the tailgate, and another on the bottom part of the window frame. My dad wants to bondo it (we went in halves on the Jeep) but rust spreads, right? If we did go the bondo route, how do we properly prep the area to prevent it from spreading? I can post some pictures this weekend of the particular areas in question but thought I'd see what you guys think.

Thanks

·
Administrator
12,487 Posts
In very general terms, you need to either grind down the rust to bare good steel or cut the rust area out. If they are small areas, you can then use either metal mesh/plastic mesh(window screen) as a backer and then bondo over it, then sand to shape, prime and paint. If larger area's, then same, but weld in a plate and grind prime and paint..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In very general terms, you need to either grind down the rust to bare good steel or cut the rust area out. If they are small areas, you can then use either metal mesh/plastic mesh(window screen) as a backer and then bondo over it, then sand to shape, prime and paint. If larger area's, then same, but weld in a plate and grind prime and paint..
simple, easy to follow instructions. thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just sanded any rust used damp cloth wipe up any fine stuff let dry roughed up with wire brush wiped away any dry fines and filled with JB weld when it dried just sanded down and painted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts