Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Snug it up real good. But not a bad idea to invest in a basic torque wrench just to be a little more accurate. I got a super basic craftsman that's come in super handy even.

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
remember too tight is not good either as it will stretch and weaken the lug. invest in a tq wrench

·
Registered
51 Posts
remember too tight is not good either as it will stretch and weaken the lug. invest in a tq wrench
Picked one up from harbor freight for around $12. Don't want to cause more damage by not having one. I use torque sticks on the impact and go back after with the torque wrench.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Tight, millions have been doing it for years
Agreed.

If you take it to the dealer or a tire shop 90% of those guys will hammer them on with an impact gun so when you get a flat you would need a 400 pound gorilla to get them loose.
I just use my calibrated arm on wheel nuts.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What is a calibrated arm? - never heard of it... Is it some kind of a torque wrench?

Sorry, that is me being a smart-ass. I use my crossbar tire iron and tighten until it feels tight enough.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do not take this the wrong way but are you new to vehicles and maintenance?

Between this thread and you other two threads on worrying about 5oz of oil usage and the benefits of oil extraction vs. draining, you are taking almost a haphazard approach to everything.

There is a right way and a half-ass way of doing things. You can only get by so long doing things half-ass before it catches up with you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sears has torque wrenches for half price and my ingersol rand lowest air gun is at 118lbs according to the tq wrench. Make sure you release the pressure on the wrench before storage. I put all my wheels at 120. Locks and all

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
120 is WAY too high for most vehicles. People who don't know any better might follow that recommendation and start snapping lugs off and that's not going to end well at all.

2012 spec is 95 (pg 500 of the manual) and that's actually the highest I've ever owned. Usually I've seen 75-85.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do not take this the wrong way but are you new to vehicles and maintenance?

Between this thread and you other two threads on worrying about 5oz of oil usage and the benefits of oil extraction vs. draining, you are taking almost a haphazard approach to everything.

There is a right way and a half-ass way of doing things. You can only get by so long doing things half-ass before it catches up with you.
No worries Hotbro...
Let me explain: Believe it or not, but I'm not new to vehicle maintenance, I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I used to work as auto mechanic apprentice some 20 years ago.
- 5oz thread -> all of my previous cars, despite the fact they all had around 100K clicks on'em consumed almost no oil, hence the concern about brand new engine oil consumption. I was merely trying to see other people's experience with this type of engine.
- oil extraction thread -> I actually need to confess that I don't own Jeep (even though it is my dream truck), I own 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan due to its 7 seat capacity. Now you see that it would be really difficult to get under the car to drain the oil (I'm not a small guy).
- torque thread -> I was actually looking for a trick or a trade secret, I do believe that you CAN be pretty precise even doing it by hand, since those torque wrenches only provide 4% precision (click type for example), conditionally they are high quality tools and are calibrated every once in a while, otherwise instrumental error could reach 20% and up (there are few clips on youtube (see below) where guys are breaking bolts! with torque wrenches and are wondered why...)
In general, I guess that my "problem" is that I'm both theoretician & practitioner at the same time, thus, on one side, I'm used to out-of-the-box-thinking and on the other, is that I have practical experience of working in a garage and know more-or-less how things are actually done, therefore if I can do it myself - I will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDUsUEQrL0

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's pretty trivial on a JK because your weight is right in the ballpark for the stock wrench. Its handle is about a foot long, so if you press on it with half of your weight, you get about 90 lbs-ft, depending how heavy you are, of course. Just make sure to find a position that allows you to be consistent, so that all nuts of a wheel are the same. Use the star pattern and apply torque in several laps, and you'll be fine.

If you're a bodybuilder though, you can strip those threads easily, so don't just muscle it, use body weight. Or buy a torque wrench. They are $40 nowadays.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you have nothing then do it the old fashioned way. People have been doing that for decades.

If you want to buy a specialty tool, I'd recommend a torque stick or torque extension similar to this. http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-TORQUE-Extension-Stick/dp/B000JIYPA4/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1415998321&sr=8-23&keywords=Torque+lug

Torque wrenches are a mixed bag. Cheap models are not accurate and are unreliable. Might be okay for lugs because the margin of error isn't necessarily a big issue. For more critical uses where accuracy matters you are much better off with a quality torque such as a Snap On or MAC.

·
Registered
51 Posts
After all that, my brother used to run mine up with just his impact as I was checking tread and putting them up. Never used torque sticks or wrenches and put almost 50k on that jeep with no problems before trading it in. Some people have a feel for it I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
How to estimate lug nut torque without torque wrench?
I recommend investing in a torque wrench. Sears has them for under $100. If you don't torque them to the same specs all around you can risk warping the rotors.

The 2012-13 specs are 95 ft lbs. I believe it went up to 100 ft lbs with the 2014. The guy who says he torques them to 120 ft lbs is WAY too high. Do not follow that advice.

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts