Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TO FIND THE CODE:
Put the key in the ignition.

Turn it on (to accessory position –*don't start your jeep).
Turn it off.

Turn it on.
Turn it off.

Turn it on and leave it. You'll see the Check Engine code in the odometer display.

(In my case it showed P 1281 (engine running too cool). I then replaced the incorrectly-sold-to-me 165* thermostat with a 195* thermostat. The check engine light stayed on. Thus I needed to reset the check engine warning light. Read on.)

RESET THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. Then reconnect.
Check engine light has gone away. I've read that the soft codes go away, but the hard codes stay. Someone else can expound on that topic.

-----

The above info is scattered deep throughout a couple threads. So here I've condensed it. It works for a 2002 TJ Sahara. Not sure if it'll work for whichever year/model you've got.

·
Registered
15,687 Posts
Well the reset works for all years but as Jerry listed a couple years won't show the codes in odometer but all years spit out set and pending codes to a code reader

Now here is another interesting data point

As expected my 98 will not show codes in odometer but even with a 97 XJ PCM and cluster installed on my 98 it still would not show codes in odometer

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts