Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to adjust or should i say add some washers on the steer stop for some rubbing i was getting but turns out the stop on the gusset side broke off.So basically nothing is stopping the bolt.

Anybody knows a good way to fix this issue.Im thinking welding but would that weaken it?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
The adjustment washer that is welded to the bolt threads broke free from the bolt?

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nut and bolt side is fine its the gusset side. It has a notch that the bolt head bumps into that sheared off.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
I'm still unable to picture the problem, any chance you can post a good sharp well-lit photo of the problem?

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can do .Im currently at work and unable to post pix with my smart phone.Its smarter than I am lol.
Thanks Jerry.

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lets see if this works.

You can see I n the left of the steer stop bolt where the piece broke off.I even added washers hoping it would catch whatever is left but no luck.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Again, just weld a new gusset on. Not a big job or a big deal. I've had to do 2 of them for TJ's.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
Even after that photo which is too dark to see the part where the steering bolt threads into, I'm a little slow this morning. So are you saying the raised cast nub on the inner-C is broken off so the bump stop bolt doesn't catch it? Or the part of the knuckle the steering bolt threads into is broken? The angle of the steering bolt stop itself doesn't look right.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Even after that photo which is too dark to see the part where the steering bolt threads into, I'm a little slow this morning. So are you saying the raised cast nub on the inner-C is broken off so the bump stop bolt doesn't catch it? Or the part of the knuckle the steering bolt threads into is broken? The angle of the steering bolt stop itself doesn't look right.
Looks like the tip of that shoulder is knocked off...but agreed, it also looks like the steering bolt is also bent.

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, just weld a new gusset on. Not a big job or a big deal. I've had to do 2 of them for TJ's.
Thats what I thought but I wasnt sure if it would weaken it.

Looks like Constable beat me to it.

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Constable said it best.A piece of the shoulder broke off the inner c.And you guys are right about the angle of the bolt Is why I added the washer... kinda a quick fix for I just noticed it yesterday.

Now I gotta find a welder and see if that bolt can be straightened out.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Thats what I thought but I wasnt sure if it would weaken it.

Looks like Constable beat me to it.
Nope, wont weaken it at all. 10 minute job. Just get a few scraps of sheet, cut and weld to imitate the other side.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Constable said it best.A piece of the shoulder broke off the inner c.And you guys are right about the angle of the bolt Is why I added the washer... kinda a quick fix for I just noticed it yesterday.

Now I gotta find a welder and see if that bolt can be straightened out.
I would put a new bolt in there. Even if you do weld a little bit on to make it the same size as factory, your bent bolt still wont catch the shoulder like it should (if it even catches at all).

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whats the deal with the steering bolt? Its pointed in the wrong direction :confused:
Not really sure how but if I had to guess when it broke off it pushed it out the other way.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
No need to straighten the bolt, just find a matching Grade 5 bolt at your local hardware store and place a lock nut onto it to adjust and lock its height. There is nothing special about that bolt other than the factory welded a stop to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts