Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
it's toast best option would be find a part out with a good fender and try to get it for a good price.
you'd pay more to rebuild that 1 then buy a new 1.
amazon has um new for 96$ and color match paint is like 15$ a can.

·
Registered
122 Posts
it's toast best option would be find a part out with a good fender and try to get it for a good price.
you'd pay more to rebuild that 1 then buy a new 1.
amazon has um new for 96$ and color match paint is like 15$ a can.
Or you can get them pre-painted for $269 shipped on eBay. Whether you get one painted or just primed, take the time to seal ALL the seams on the underside or you will end up with the same problem very quickly.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You guys are getting this all wrong!
Look at this in a more positive way...…

What you see happening is a "vent" that is being created.....absolutely slower than it should be.
From an areo point of view, this will let the turbulence generated by the overly large knobby tire escape the fender well thru the new "vent" opening there by decreasing side body air flow disruption AND as a benefit will increase down force from the air that will impact the "A" pillar and the mirror.

It's a WIN WIN!!!!

:funnypost:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Let them rot until you can't stand to look at them any longer. Then replace the fenders. For brand new, the prices are really pretty low. Try finding a fender for a Lexus for that kind of money...

If it were mine, I would replace them now. Before everything gets so rusty, you can't get the fenders off without cutting everything. Right now, I have two very small brown marks on the top of my front fenders. I figure I have a little more time than you, but I will likely get new ones sometime next year.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My fenders are starting to rust through as well. I’ll prob end up buying new ones soon, but for the time being I’m going to attempt to repair them by welding in new metal. I bought myself a new tig welder & im going to learn how to tig weld body panels.
Not real concerned if I screw up. I’ll just replace both fenders. Who knows, maybe I have a hidden talent.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
the big prob is it's that double layer of metal in the top, that rippled piece it's corroding as well. the top corrosion you see beginning means it's been rotting between for awhile and both pieces need reworked.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
It's cancer..

Get them off before it spreads.. Even if you don't have the coin for new ones, take them off and run without until you do. You can add new fenders when you have the money to do it the right way.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My one side looks like yours, and actually went through. Like the others have said, you can get a new one for around $100. That is my plan come Spring. They dont look too hard to replace.

The problem with bondoing it, is that rust is coming from the bottom up, due to a plate that lets water leak in. So it will continue to spread underneath. When you get a new one, seal up around that plate, like rcroane mentioned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
rusty fender repair.

Can I Bondo this? It’s not rusted through. It is about 1/4 inch deep. I know it will eventually rot but I just want to slow the process
I am not an expert, but I did bodywork for several years at a good shop. Current labor charges for mechanics in the Appleton area ranges from $125 to $139/hour. So as the several guys said, it is so affordable to just buy a new fender, which is one of the few very low cost parts on any Jeep. My local favorite body shop charges a modest $300 per panel to make small repairs and then paint it (such as a door or fender, etc.) Rust repair and welding would be a much higher charge. With the added prep work the guys mentioned, it will let you enjoy your new fenders for a decade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing I have learned with repairs and upgrades through my years. Don't try to skimp by the easy or cheap way. Save your money up if you have to or just go ahead and fork it out the first time and do it right. Otherwise you are wasting time and money.
Listen to this advice. Don't bother with the bondo. Go ahead and get new fenders. Or live with the rust for a year or so and save for new ones. You will be a lot happier in the long run.
The only time to cheat on a repair is when you are just doing something in an emergency to get your rig home or a shop. So you can then do the repair properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts